www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heated Oxygen Sensors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin101fc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Heated Oxygen Sensors Reply with quote

My motor doesn't appear to have ever had these fitted. At the last MOT the emissions were just on the max allowed; as I am in need of a new exhaust system do you think I should get these fitted?
GB223

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin,
The oxygen sensors must be 4-wire heated ones, and they are a very specific type (due to operating range) the OEM parts are hideously expensive from LR but available from the OEM manufacturer NTK for half the price. NTK number is OTD3J-5C1. any NGK / NTK stockist can get them.
When you say yours doesn't have them I expect you mean they are not heated ones, rather than no sensors at all? They should be fitted in the downpipe before the cats, and have Grey 4-pin plastic plugs (red-white-yellow-black wires), one of which is burried under the coil packs. Black plugs indicates that the Range-Rover ones have been used.
There is a glitch with the OBD codes which can be confusing. Some Discos had 4 Lambda sensors, 2 UPstream (before the cats) and 2 DOWNstream (after the cats). Although the 50th exhaust has ports for the DOWNstream ones they are not fitted. You may get an OBD code that indicates a sensor failure DOWNstream, but it is actually indicating the UPstream one on that bank.
Any good OBD reader can tell you if there is a fault
Hope that helps
Captainbeaky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I was looking for the NTK part number - much appreciated.

2013 Honda NC700X
2005 Honda XR250R
2007 Smart ForTwo Turbo.
2010 VW Transporter camper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: