www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sumo Bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Sumo Bars Reply with quote

Now I doubt this will be of much interest to most of you as it is an off road accessory really, but I was very pleased with the quality of this item.

Essentially the rear track rods are a bit pish on Defenders and are prone to bending, particularly, so I'm told, if you sink in soft mud, which of course I did up in the Dales a few weeks ago... Embarassed

There are two options for this, one is to get a slip on protector or 'Dan' bar and the other is to get a more substantial item. I got a heavy duty Sumo bar from Qt Services - http://www.qtservices.co.uk/ I think it was around the £50 mark all in. Very good service and fast delivery.

The weight and quality of the Sumo bar is superb. You could probably bend the original if you got your knee to it, however if you tried the same with this track rod you'd need an arthroplasty..! Note in the picture it has the track rod ends fitted, these don't come as standard.

So if you are planning on getting her muddy... Get one of these..!

jonathan.day

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: sumo bars Reply with quote

I can really recomend these as the have loads of advantages,like not seizing up when need of adjustment,and as a jacking point!!!
Don't think the slip on bars are a good idea,as how can you undo one track rod end at a time,when you can't hold the bar still,sumo bars have flats ground at each end 24mm I think,very cool,one less worry offroading,spend many happy hours in morocco,with one end between rocks with two of us pulling it back straightish! or with the winch doubled back onto it
those times are history now,although I do wonder what will break instead? plus they are cheaper or the same price as standard trackrod tubes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: