www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GB 338 - VRN T78 RGH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: GB 338 - VRN T78 RGH Reply with quote

I am going to see GB 338 which is for sale. Does anyone know anything about her? I have been thinking about a 50th for some time to replace my 300 Tdi 90. Apparently 25,000 miles, fsh and now needs some use? She was bought by her previous owner in 2004 and has covered less than 2,000miles since then. If you know of a good 50th I would be interested. Many thanks, Stephen
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

Dont know anything about this one.

It looks like its in need of some tidying up, so maybe priced a little high with that in mind.

Where in Hampshire are you? I'm Nr Andover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
stephen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

I am in Silchester, midway between Reading, Newbury and Basingstoke. I used to work in Andover and Tidworth, many moons ago! I agree it looks as if it needs some TLC, apparently one of a fleet of 4x4's that the owner intended to spend some money on but never got around to it. Hasn't been serviced for two years, which is not a good start. I have always just fancied a 50th Anniversary Defender, I think it is the noise they make the the ability to cover the ground in an unstoppable way! I use my 300Tdi almost daily but feel I could cope with the fuel bill! Or perhaps I am just suffering from an incurable Solihull disease for which there is only one known cure? Stephen
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen wrote:
I use my 300Tdi almost daily but feel I could cope with the fuel bill! Or perhaps I am just suffering from an incurable Solihull disease for which there is only one known cure? Stephen

The 50th will cure it Very Happy

If the paint work is good on it with not too much bubblng it would be easy to tidy it up.
The roll cage looks quite faded and the bolts rusty, which could be a bad sign, but these are 10 years old now so they will need work if it has not been done before.

Let us know how you get on,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Allan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes the 50th will cure it...!

Greatest motor ever to come out of Solihull...

I agree with James, that price is a bit on the high side. It won't be too bad if you intend to keep it for a few years so you can absorb the couple of grand it's over priced by. There are advantages and disadvantages with it being low mileage. Mine always played up if I didn't drive her daily, as most land rovers do. Though the low mileage is a big selling point though, it must be one of the lowest in the UK.

As for fuel, expect something between 12-14 for a daily runner and perhaps 19 mpg on a long run. With fuel prices rising you need to think about that if it is your only motor.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...
PARBS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey that will frighten the poor bloke before he's even got one! We have managed 22 on a long run and always average 18-20. Smile

Steve
1990 110 3.5 V8
Ex MEB 130 Quadtech
Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye but your engine is a LONG way from standard...!

I've never got more than 19mpg out of mine on a run.

As for day to day, I do about three miles to work, then lots of short stop start journeys whilst on visits, so you wouldn't expect a great mpg. It depends on your type of driving.

I used to get abut 120 - 130 miles off 45 litres (10 gallons) for work runs.

By comparison I have just filled up the 110 TD5 after a couple of weeks of work runs and it did 27mpg. A bit more tolerable. Went up to the North York Moors for a camping laning weekend last weekend and because of the long run up it's looking like 35mpg plus. And that's with 2 adults 3 kids and a the back stuffed to the rafters with camping and recovery gear and a fair bit of off road driving..!

Having it tuned in the near future... without upgrading the intercooler it will make 165 hp and 290 lb ft of torque with a supposed improvement in economy for 400+VAT. Swap in a full size intercooler and you are at 190 bhp and 320 lbft which is phenomenal for the price of a Mark Adams chip...!

Still miss the 50th though... Crying or Very sad
stephen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Committed! Reply with quote

Well I am pleased to say that after a protracted discusions and a break for a wet fortnight holiday in Devon I have now shaken hands on the Defender. I am already starting to make a list of essential tasks! No doubt there will be lots of questions one she has arrived in Silchester, next weekend I hope Laughing
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, bet you cant wait to get it now and start playing with it Smile
minibograt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow the fuel, (try an RX8 PZ) enjoy yourselves, your'e only here once, can't beat a Def 50th V8

This fuel "crisis" has advantages, this week a mate has upgraded his small fleet to newer, bigger & better cars for peanuts

2003 (03) clean 25k Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 - 4,800 (bought 18 months ago for 17k)

1998 (S) Mint TVR Chimaera 500 5 ltr 47k 9,250 (bought 9 months ago for 15k)

If you can stand the fuel, bargains to be had, and the cost per barrel is dropping

Another pal has a property in South Africa and always flies Business Class, his grown up kids can't get their heads around the cost, and have not realised that it's their inheritance he's spending ... albeit leaving them sound
Chevy S.10 4.3 V6 Pickup
Toyota Land Cruiser D4D 2.8 Invincible X
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Sahara
Scirocco TSi 210
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: