www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number 93 - 2002 dash retro fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Number 93 - 2002 dash retro fit Reply with quote

Saw Number 93 last weekend at Driffield - nice looking motor many mods some not to my taste.

The owner Chris was asking about the website so gave him the details - James any chance of getting some of your cards ? - if you are at Eastnor on the Saturday maybe I could get some off you - anyway one nice mod was the 2002 defender dash - somewhere to put all those extra switches -
any one else out there done this mod - I believe Simmonites now do a 'kit' for £200 ish don't know what this includes - bits of plastic and switches ? - will look into and post info !

Simon
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no problem simon, i'm at Eastnor Friday (for a LRW photo shoot on special edition defenders) saturday and sunday.

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ads90

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,

I have been thinking of updating to the 2002 dash - it will give me somewhere for the (another project pending) electric window switches, and solve the problem of putting the hazards on when I'm trying to demist the rear screen etc...

Take a look at this site put together by someone who has already done it - it has all the (oem) components listed that you need:
http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/2002dash/index.htm

Seems like you can probably get all you need from your dealer for around £200?

Seems the trickiest thing is sorting out the electrical connections to the new switches...

Also, if you have any of the Croytec upgrade bits on yours, you may want to have a word with them about the center console - I spoke to their chap on the Croytec stand at Gaydon, and he said they may be making parts for it - don't know what yet though...

Cheers,
Adam
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i will say is the best of luck...
did you see the blued switches and clocks though!!!
they took forever to do...
but nice really nice at night...
each switch including the fag lighter and light adjuster all in led's...
also courtesy lights too.
i need to get someone to photograph it at night so i can post it for you lot to see.
i wouldn't bother with simmonites or anyone else other than landrover for the dash bits...
there not that expensive but are a bloody pain to fit.
the dash is about 40 quid the swtich surrounds about 20 quid switches start at 5 quid to 25 quid for the hazzards.
theres a backing plate for the switches and a deck surround.
both about 15 quid'ish.
the wiring i moded my self since i was playing so much with the colours and wiring layout.
think twice about trying to LED the switches unless your into Electronics alot, reverse baising on diodes aint for the light hearted amonst you.

im curious though what did you think was crap on my vehicle?
answer truefully im a big boy now!
i have removed those crap air intakes and put on the new fluser types...
modified of course all painted in the altantis theme.
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris - to my taste ! - didn't like the 'burr walnut' effect and don't go much with the idea of LED/neons on a Defender - jury's out on the air intakes - is the one on the bonnet real ?? - if so how much difference does it make ? Otherwise fab 50th - Snowy - silver F reg 90 has some cool custom machined / fabricated bits on it - like to know who makes them - any one have ay clues ?

Regarding the dash - how did you get hold of the plugs for the switches - I read a post on the LROI forum (I think) that they are available from RS - have you got the code for these (Tyco product ?) ?

What other shows are you at this year ? I'm at Eastnor Saturday only.
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok the airvents are changed painted drilled and grilled now half the size they were...look loads better.

the trick bits on his shed are scorpion etc....
no need for most of them...

can't do eastnor sorry on my hols....

bling will be the next event for me...sorry.

150 quid for the four modified airbags...not bad new through a one off scource.
modified for greater lift should be here this week with any luck.
rest of the trick bits will take time and a lot of money but hey still gonna do it..
as to the burwalnut...well the previous owner started that off by muckin up the dash by sticking a lump of wood 1/4 inch thick and melting half the facia hence i made it a little more me shall we say.

the scubbie air intake wasn't intended to be fasle but worked out that way in case i didn't like it i could just remove it without a problem.
the ones i've seen all have been on tdi's trouble with the v8 is the coils are right underneath the air intake bit so if it slings it down water will land right on the coil tops!
nah i need to sort it out just haven't had time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: