www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GB 248
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: GB 248 Reply with quote

Hi,

See GB 248 is on ebay, item number 200230137762.

2 owner 36,000 mile car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour,

The number 248 is going to cross the chanel in 8 days.
I'm 39, 2 kids and the mother that goes with them, we all live in Giverny, Haute Normandie.

My dream of driving a 4x4 and the best of them is becoming true and I'm really getting excited about it.

Booked my plane to cardiff, a night in a hotel and the ferry to get back home. Now I'm just thinking how I'm going to drive on the left side and then on the right with a right-hand car!!!!

Bought it in UK because the prices here are still like a new one after 10 years. They were only 25 sold in France and the cheapest on the market is 20000£, too much for me.

Some guys told me I was making a mistake to buy a right-hand car but it doesn't like to bother the british that come to France, anyway we will see, life is short, so enjoy.....

Being a real newbie with land rover and 4x4 in general, not a great mechanic and my knowledge in "technical english" really poor I have to trust the garage that is selling the car.
On what I know and see about it, it looks quit good to me but if anyone of you know some stuff about the N°248, I would really appreciate his comments, especially the bad ones.
What could I ask the seller to be sure I won't be disapointed once in Cardiff? MOT? vehicle status report? etc...
Any infos are welcome.

Now I just have to count the days, what's one week when you've been waiting for 20 years.... a century for sure...

Thanks for this forum, god bless the queen and the people of land rover.
Marc
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Marc,

Congratulations on buying a 50th.

For the price GB 248 look a good buy. The serice history is amazing.

It look good, they are 10 years old so cant expect like new, but with a bit of tidying up you could have it looking great.

You got a good drive to enjoy on your way home, where you getting the ferry?

Best regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James

Of course I don't expect to have a new one but at least one worth my money. Anyway we will see.
I'm taking the ferry at Dover so it should a 600km day for me, great, petrol station are going to love me !!!

Good week-end
Goldilocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... Whenever we are in France it always is confusing as to which country we are in as there are so many English cars knocking about in our village and most of the English residents who have and GB car don't bother with insurance or Taxes Smile Maybe one day our Annie will be out there....
kbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for more detailed pictures and I am a little disapointed!
What to think about this?

and

defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not to good, it its like that there whats in the chassie and bulkhead like. Its mush have been a seaside car so suffered.

I would keep looking personally. If there are any near Hampshire i'm always happy to view them for you.

Best regards
Allan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has been stood more than it has been driven. The V8 kicks out a lot of heat and normally keeps the underbonnet fairly dry and rust free.

I would also look closely at where the plenum meets the inlet manifold. There shouldn't be brown gunge dripping down there. It should be completely dry... makes me wonder where the fluid has come from.

Avoid unless it's cheap.
kbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned, I should have asked those pictures before.

On the phone, the guy told me there were no rust and the car was in great condition ??? My fault! Evil or Very Mad

I will call them tomorrow to cancel the deal. Do you think it will be a problem as I sent a 500£ deposit and a 4500£ bank transfer. The car is 10995£.

On a french defender forum they told me the same think about the brown stuff....

Now I have to find another one, anyway thanks for your answers and I'll let you know...

Marc
minibograt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that - a motor trader / dealer / slug - placing 11 photos of the GB 248, but not one of the V8 engine bay ... perhaps bonnet pull stuck ? .. perhaps ??

My view is that a dealer works for approx 10 - 15% so most probably bought in for circa £ 9-10k

Word of warning where to seek them out from ..

www.defender50th.co.uk has got to be best bet unless by word of mouth
to get a proper one

Audi SQ5 3.0 V6 twin turbo
Def 110 TDCi Puma HiCap Pickup (2009 9.7k miles from new)
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Sahara
VW Scirocco GT TSi 210
clived

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up on ebay again.....
mtcraymond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to them and apparently number 248 sold for £11,000..!
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, hope they saw it before buying it Confused
mtcraymond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, ebay bidding only went to about £4,500 or something so I guess it was bought through the garage, and then withdrawn from Ebay, perhaps it didnt make it but thats what the chap said...
GKP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to have a little giggle at some of the observations on this thread. Car no. 248 is a good example of the 50th.
A couple of photos of a grubby engine bay and some poorly applied red Hylomar and all of a sudden some are saying leave well alone and look for another etc. Rolling Eyes

Well, my Good Lady absolutely loves her new car. We drove back home from Wales today (around 170 miles) without issue. It's one of the quietest and smoothest 50ths I've been in. No whines, rattles or squeaks, but then it's only done 36k miles. The chassis and bulkhead are just fine, but thanks for the concern. Even the footwells are dry.
Mind you, the bulb has blown on the reversing light so I'll hang on to the warranty just in case.

Not too sure how the price of £11,000 was worked out. We px'ed an Audi TT and some beer money to do the deal. I guess that the dealer was just talking his business up.

In a way, we both feel sorry for Marc for missing out on a cracking Defender. But his loss is most definitely our gain. The moral here is don't buy unseen, go and look at the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: