www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Gauge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Has anyone else got a fuel guage that wiggles about?
Mine started doing it a few weeks ago, (it didn't before) and my garage has suggested that 'all 50ths do that'...! Confused
Is this a valid statement - or should I expect it to be fixed?

If anyone has had this problem, and DID get it fixed - can you tell me what it was - the guage, sender, wiring, or something else?

Thanks,
Adam.
Jonno_212

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked mine up saturday, noticed that the needle swings about when cornering/roundabouts, and uphill/downhill........ thought this was prob "just a land rover thing"!
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just does the standard land rover thing as Jonno say, moves when cornering etc just slowly moves over then back,
Depends what kind of wiggle your talking about Smile

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ads90

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine did move back and forth slowly before - shows empty when going up steep hills (gives you a fright!) and fills up again going down hill, but NOW its still doing that, BUT ALSO starting to wiggle +&- quarter tank about where it should be - at about the speed of a medium size dogs tail at dinner time ( Very Happy )
I'm guessing thats just mine then...?
Gus

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine starting wiggling recently - don't know why. Not sure if I can be bothered to get it fixed tho..
Ads90

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to know Gus - must be a regulator or something.
I'm hoping it will be fixed under my (soon to run out) warrenty - if it does, will let you know what it is...
Sue

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has waved freely about aimlessly for as long as I've had it, it even waves around while stationary! I think it is the voltage regulator at fault. I don't think it's restricted to just 50th's though as my other 90 does exactly the same Confused

Sue.
Allan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'They all do that sir...'

Both Katy I GB 254 and Katy II GB 010 both do it...

I never quite trust the fuel guage anyway. As with most things Land Rover it is, shall we say, idiosyncratic... Very Happy
romadog2004

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Dodgy Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

Glad i'm not the only one suffering with this problem. I went to a friendly main dealer today and was told to check the wiring for shorts before testing the sender and gauge. I thought there was a voltage stabiliser as on s111 , if so where is it located? This little device is designed to stop the irritating "wag of the tail". Question
Ads90

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garage (that hold my warrenty) reckon a replacement guage is the answer - so they are ordering one for me, which I will fit when it arrives...
Will let you know if this fixes it.
If it does, then the damper/regulator must be internal, and I don't suppose it's a servicable item?
An yes - I use the trip to decide when to fill up as the guage is so 'indicative' - 160 miles, and it's time to start looking!
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone tried fitting a capcitor of suitable value to iron out the voltage drop or is it just the crappy built gauges?
Allan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always assumed it was just the fuel sloshing around in the tank...???

If you get your vehicle off level the values vary wildly even with a stable reading needle.

Kind of makes me think that it's just the way the sender reads.
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats way i thnk a capacitor will do the trick
will try next week while off work and let you know the outcome.

the idea is that when the tank is full the cap will charge up...
when you drive and the float wobbles round the voltage will drop to the guage (momentarily) the capcitor will hold the voltage fora short time keeping the guage more stable, yet when the tank empties the capictor will decrease in voltage to suit the sender therefore lowering the reading on the guage.
i have some capcitors and will play with the values to see what works best if any at all.
romadog2004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan
have you fitted your new gauge yet? Question Question

Jeremy
GB278
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy - it's Adam here (did you mean me?) - I was given the new gauge to fit a few weeks ago, and only got around to fitting it yesterday! Rolling Eyes
Was going to update this thread when I have driven it... (I havn't yet).

I did notice a difference with the new guage straight away though - I had about half a tank when I disconnected the old one, then when I connected the new one and switched the ignition on, it rises REALLY slowly, to show the half tank... then when you switch the power off again, it drops REALLY slowly back to rest too. (I'm talking around 20 seconds - I know that doesn't sound slow, but count it!).
Don't know about yours, but mine (BEFORE and after the damper broke altogether) used to rise and fall almost immediately to the reading, SO - I think this later guage (date stamped '04) has a much stronger damper in it...
Therefore I am expecting it to be an improvement over the old one, and not move so much as you go up or down hill...
But will let you know if this is the case as soon as I have been out in it.
Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: