www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

springs, ride height and comfort

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brookes47

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: springs, ride height and comfort Reply with quote

My car has JE springs which reduced ride height by an inch and are slightly softer but not enough. Does anyone know where I can get lower rate springs from, most of the kits seem to be uprated springs, god knows what these cars must be like to travel in!
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think i have seen softer springs anywhere. It is probally the whole JE kit makes it a harder ride, more performance based. The uprated roll bars and shocks are going to make it a stiffer ride.
Maybe you should go back to using standard land rover parts. The standard ride is good all round.

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brookes47

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may well be the whole JE performance kit never thought of that, BUT i do like the car being lower it means i can get into most multistorey car parks and under height restrictors at various locations

Steve Brookes 95
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I think there is a balance between having softer springs, and then needing heavy-duty anti-roll bars to reduce sway, or having harder springs and softer ARBs...
The first option should still give you a more comfortable ride though, as the softer springs are going to help... maybe your setup has sports type shock absorbers which are keeping things tight, and changing these to standard ones would help?
I think you sould speak to JE about it, they should know!

I guess most defender owners would love the complient ride comfort of the RR Classic, but I think this is achieved with softer rear springs coupled with the self-levelling device on the A-bar... trouble with our 90s is that we don't have that device and so need tougher rear springs to be able to cope with any load carried in the rear.
Also the 90's reduced wheel-base doesn't help.

I have no idea if it is possable for a speciallist to fit one of these devices, and therefore softer rear springs?
Can't help but think it might be, as the components at least look similar?
Then you would just need the HD ARBs to stop the sway, and comfort shocks!
All money though, eh?

Otherwise, it's a case of making the most out of a car that was never intended to be a road-cruiser.

Sorry if you already knew all of the above, and this is of no use whatsoever! Laughing

Regards,
Adam.

PS - I did see a (rather poor picture) once of a Defender body mounted on a 100inch RR chassis, with a 10inch stretch to the body. In theory this gave you the best of both worlds - Defender looks, with RR comfort and a car length half-way between the 90 and 110! Difficult to say how good it looked, as the resolution was cr@p!
brookes47

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so here is what I intend to do.

I have ordered a set of LR original springs hoping they are softer. Interestingly the fronts are the same as normal defender, the rears are a 50th model specific part.

I'll change these and she how it goes. Whilst I am under there I will check out the dampers and antiroll bar, but I think they are original.
Ads90

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder in what way the 50th's rears differ?
If you find out, let us know..?

I presume my suspension is all original (it looks it), and the ride is not dreadful, but still wish it was better over our local pot-holed lanes... so I wouldn't expect too much...
I find it surprisingly comfortable on smoother roads at speed though, and after owning an '86 RR (pre anti-roll bars) a few years back - it's cornering is a revelation - flat and controlled for a LR!
Just it's lack of ability to cope with the ruts and bumps on the minor roads is a pain though.

Another thing to consider is tyre choice - I have the original fit BFG ATs, I don't know if a road-biased tyre would help? It may have different side-wall properties - anybody know?
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Adam, i run slightly smaller tyres, standard range rover size as i have the range rover transfer box mod, so keeps the gearing correct.
Anyways these smaller Michilin road tyres perform alot better that the standard BFG tyres. I guess because they are smaller and more performance based.

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read in a thread on Landrovernet.com that the 110 CSW has the self-levelling device, and softer springs at the rear... could be part of the reason that the ride is supposed to be so much better in them.
discovery1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Ride comfort Reply with quote

just a thought , but you can lower the tyre pressures to a comfort setting -or soft ride as the workshop supplement calls it. 23 psi front 30psi rear. this limits you to 55mph though - Its a very cheap option ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: