www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50th Bonnet problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Cade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: 50th Bonnet problem Reply with quote

My 50th has the bonnet prop cut off and two holes cut underneath for the expansion tank (right) and cover (left)

Has a TD5 bonnet been fitted?

Does the 50th have its own unique bonnet? Can I buy one?

Or will a NAS spec fit if sourced from the US

Please help
V8GPC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it, i have a Td5 bonnet on mine; due to it previously having had a puma bonnet fitted by Nene Overland when they ruining it Sad

I installed the Td5 bonnet as the all aluminium frame made it a better choice than earlier second hand TDI ones withthe steel frame down the centre that rusts.

I did find that i had to lower the expansion tank (holes present) and ECU to clear the different internal shape of the bonnet. (as its a pressing rather than frame)

Additionally it has a car style bonnet prop rather than the earlier hindge type. (also the alarm switch bracket is different between the 50th (or earlier TDI) and the TD5 and PUMA. (it looks very similar but has a longer section where it bolts to the bukhead to bring the switch up higher.

I have heard that the 50th has a different bonnet - but to me it looks like the earlier TDI style with the centre support.
NAS90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 50th Bonnet problem Reply with quote

Brian Cade wrote:

Or will a NAS spec fit if sourced from the US

Please help

NAS bonnet is the same one as used on the 50th
oilit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the dim and distant past i had to buy a bonnet and i seem to remember they were unique compared to the other td5 etc and I remember struggling to get hold of a new one - but in the end Duckworths found one for me. I would imagine but can't confirm NAS would be the same
Phib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are unique, very hard to find.

Phib
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: