www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50th Repair Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spgmcb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: 50th Repair Help Reply with quote

Sad

Unfortunately, an uninsured driver crashed into my parked 50th

GB 329

Last edited by spgmcb on Sat May 05, 2018 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
NAS90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damaged wing and door are not too bad to source replacement parts, but if they are damaged is the bulkhead also damaged?

I would say best thing you can do is get an approved Land Rover repairer in your area to quote for the repair and, if you can arrange it, get the independent insurance guy to do his inspection whilst it is at the approved repairer, that way you make sure he gets his report correct and stand a decent chance of him recommending the approved centre for the repair.
oilit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch

good luck Shocked
spgmcb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, independent loss adjuster viewing next week with my wifes Figaro that was also damaged. Authorised land rover repairer is reviewing images my 50th, so wait and see. I recall a couple of years ago a few people on the forum restored and repaired 50th's, I think one was called Simon.

Is there anyone on the forum who still rebuilds 50th's as my preference would be to have it repaired to a high standard.

Thanks again

GB 329
MikeB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Durant is your man for restorations. He recently did mine and the job is superb. Not sure whether he would do accident damage though?
spgmcb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, could you PM contact details for Simon so that I can send him details of the damage, thanks.

GB 329
spgmcb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50th is now with the local land rover dealer which is also an approved repairer, however after talking with him I have a few questions that I hope the group can answer.

1) The 50th requires a full outside respray, however the Land Rover dealer uses water based paint not two pan which was originally used, is this a problem?

2) The passenger front wing requires replacing as does the inner wing, JLR do not have the 50th parts, should I use td5 or 300tdi original new parts and have them modified or are they the same. At least the drivers wing is fixable.

3) The passenger wing aluminium plate, side plate and side step are bent, does anyone know of any spares, if not I was going to try and have them repaired.

4) Becuse of damage, I wss going to take the opportunity to replace the tub capping, does any one have any images of them in place from the inside without the plastic trim so I can see if they are modified at the middle roll bar. Are they the same as amn710170 and amn710160. Was thinking of replacing the capping for galvanised, option one buy a new set and galvanise them, option two purchase a set of old 90 capping which was originally galvanised and fit them, has anyone experience of this.

5) Lastly, looking at replacing the doors for later puma, I know many have done this with the rear door, has anyone been able to keep and use the original rear door cover and plastic wiper motor cover. As for the front doors, after speaking with a 50th member, I understand you can keep the original door cards with the new puma doors, a little cutting down of the door card is required, however can the original window mechanism and lock mechanism be retained with the original metal window wonders.

Appreciate lots of questions, if anyone can answer any of them or post photos, it would be appreciated, thanks Steve

GB 329
Albert McFly

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

) The 50th requires a full outside respray, however the Land Rover dealer uses water based paint not two pan which was originally used, is this a problem?

No issues with the new paints, the more coats it gets the deeper Andy richer the finish looks

2) The passenger front wing requires replacing as does the inner wing, JLR do not have the 50th parts, should I use td5 or 300tdi original new parts and have them modified or are they the same. At least the drivers wing is fixable.

Any wing will do just cut out hole for the cage with a jig

3) The passenger wing aluminium plate, side plate and side step are bent, does anyone know of any spares, if not I was going to try and have them repaired.

Check plate would be best being replacing all over the car when doing a respray, ive had a step repaired its easily done and best taken to a place that builds exhaust but happy to supply my contact

4) Becuse of damage, I wss going to take the opportunity to replace the tub capping, does any one have any images of them in place from the inside without the plastic trim so I can see if they are modified at the middle roll bar. Are they the same as amn710170 and amn710160. Was thinking of replacing the capping for galvanised, option one buy a new set and galvanise them, option two purchase a set of old 90 capping which was originally galvanised and fit them, has anyone experience of this.

You have to be careful here the original parts are scarce, normal ones don’t fit with the cage. Best taking the old ones off and getting them blasted and painted

5) Lastly, looking at replacing the doors for later puma, I know many have done this with the rear door, has anyone been able to keep and use the original rear door cover and plastic wiper motor cover. As for the front doors, after speaking with a 50th member, I understand you can keep the original door cards with the new puma doors, a little cutting down of the door card is required, however can the original window mechanism and lock mechanism be retained with the original metal window wonders.

Appreciate lots of questions, if anyone can answer any of them or post photos, it would be appreciated
spgmcb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert, many thanks for taking the time to reply, I think I'll have a look ar the original capping and compare it with the td5 and old d90 and see if it can be blasted and galvanised.

GB 329
NAS90

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On point 2, I am pretty sure you need to use 300tdi wing as the hole for the Indicator repeater on the later TD5 is longer than the 300tdi/ 50th one so will not work.

For the chequer plate, I used 3mm anodized when I restored my old 50th, which looks great but the holes weren't all in the same place as the originals on the ones I bought, which was a pain so worth comparing the new ones with what is on there before the car gets painted in case there are any holes that need filling/ adjusting.
spgmcb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks NAS90, I ,m due to have a meeting with the parts man at the dealership, I'll make sure they order the 300 tdi wing.Did you use the steel rivets again on the bonnet chequer plate which are still available or the screws as used on the chequer plate
on the side for the bonnet?.

GB 329
NAS90

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spgmcb wrote:
Thanks NAS90, I ,m due to have a meeting with the parts man at the dealership, I'll make sure they order the 300 tdi wing.Did you use the steel rivets again on the bonnet chequer plate which are still available or the screws as used on the chequer plate
on the side for the bonnet?.

I used the counter sunk screws that came with the chequer plate, for me they create a cleaner look
spgmcb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink see what you mean, and they don't rust

GB 329
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: