www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Draining

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spooner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Battery Draining Reply with quote

Hi all,

So...I've finally taken a look at the issue on GB168 whereby the battery would drain fully after 4 to 5 days of it standing still (alarm on).

I've not tested the alternator yet but have done the following :-

1) Turned on the switches for the heated rear window and the air conditioning; this will determine if the load reduction relay is faulty
2) Removed the battery negative cable and placed a meter (set at 200m Amps) between the negative terminal and the cable.
3) The resultant reading was between -19.1 & -25 (it held steady at 19.2 after a few seconds)
4) Every fuse under the bonnet and under the centre console was removed one by one to see if the reading dropped.
5) Fuse 8 (Alarm Sounder) when removed caused the reading to drop to -0.8

So... my question is what next? Should the alarm sounder (I presume it means the two horns under each wing) be drawing a current anyway. I removed both plugs to each horn and with fuse 8 back in place there was no drop. Could it be the box of tricks behind the dash that's the issue?

The alarm works fine otherwise in normal use. Battery is about 3 years old.

Thanks,
Gavin
Confused

GB168 - electric, yes, electric sunroof Smile
Spooner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Alternator tested and all ok there. Started the engine and ran it at about 3000 rpm with all electrical accessories turned off. Set the voltmeter to the DCV scale and measured the voltage between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Made sure that the meter was connected to clean areas of the terminals. A reading between 13.5 to 14.5 volts indicates a correctly operating system. A reading higher than 14.5 volts most likely indicates a faulty voltage regulator. Mine was reading 14.3 volts, so within tolerances.

Delved into the dashboard and disconnected the Gemini central locking unit with the negative lead off, meter in-line as tested in my 1st post and the reading on the meter dropped to -9 ( the alarm sounder fuse (Cool was in place when this was removed). Plugged it back in, meter then went up to -19.1. Disconnect the two plugs to the green alarm unit and meter dropped to 0.00. Removed it, cleaned up all the earths in the dash area, plugged it back together....test again.. 0.00 on the meter Smile

Hopefully that's sorted it...we will see...

GB168 - electric, yes, electric sunroof Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: