www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on converting to automatic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Halfpint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Advice on converting to automatic Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking to convert a Defender 110 to automatic and wondered whether you knowledgeable chaps had any advice?

Ideally I don't want to pay for through the nose. I would consider a 50th anniversary Defender but these are out of my price range at the moment and I also want the greater space capacity of the 110.
Allan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there...

The only people that I know of that do it are Ashcroft transmissions. They are not cheap at around 4,000 I think. The website has some good info on how they do it using I think the discovery ZF auto box so you may be able to pick up some tips...

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_15.html

Have a look here...
The_Halfpint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this this. I've been aware of Ashcrofy transmissions for some time and the last quote they gave me was for 5000! This is a little bit steep still from my point of view.

I know it is possible to buy the parts but do you think this is the kind of work an ordinary garage might undertake?

I am told that these people do it as well:

Duckworth Landrover

Apparently these chaps also:

JE Engineering[/url]
Allan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine do you have is it a Tdi or a TD5...?

I'm not an expert on this but i think the TD5 would be an easier one as all the parts would be off the shelf as the disco has a TD5 mated to a ZF. The complicated bit is the gearbox has electronic control which i think ashcroft bypass by using a lever to kickdown. I'm not sure why...

Just had a chat with my mate Barry and he reckons mechanically it should be a straightforward job but it will be the gearchange synchronisation and kickdown that will be difficult to sort out... Probably why ashcrofts use a mechanical system...

He suggests the easiest way may be to do a transplant from a RR P38A engine and box already set up. Its a BMW straight six 2.5 litre turbo diesel i think... Supposed to be a good engine and box combination. Alternatively you could go for the 4.0 / 4.6 petrol Laughing Laughing

Good luck anyway mate...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: