www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Road Springs Reply with quote

As part of the restoration of GB231 I have had a load of mechanical work done, which has included the replacement of the suspension bushes with polybushes, Terra Firma dampers and new springs. I was sent standard Defender springs as being suitable, but this has made the front end sit up. I suspect these are designed for a heavy diesel engine and not a lightweight aluminium V8. Can anyone tell me the correct part numbers for the springs for the 50th please and whether they are still available?

Cheers,
Mike.
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Here are the suspension part numbers - I recently bought them from Dan at Duckworth Parts, so they are availabile. I have not fitted yet, but hopefully I will this month. I have polybushes except the shocks. I'm just replacing the old DeCarbon shocks and rusty springs.

Springs:
NRC9446 Front – 90 Driver £63.50 inc vat
NRC9447 Front – 90 Passenger £63.50 inc vat
RKB101230 Rear – 90 Driver £68.00 inc vat
RKB101240 Rear – 90 Passenger £68.00 inc vat

Shocks:
STC3766 Front Dampers £62.00 each inc VAT £124.00 inc VAT
STC3767 Rear Dampers £65.00 each inc VAT £130.00 inc VAT
Include bushes

Rear Anti Roll Bar:
LR033038 Rear ARB £79.00 inc VAT
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
MikeB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aaron,

Those front spring part numbers are what I had and gave it a very much nose up look. They are each half a kilo heavier than the original front springs and seem to be a whole lot stiffer. The rears I got are NRC9448 and NRC9449, which do seem to be the same as the originals. Be interesting to see what yours looks like when they are fitted. Don't get rid of the originals until you are sure what you have is correct. I went back to the original fronts which are a lot more compliant and ride better.

Cheers,
Mike.
Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Interesting. it is certainly a minefield changing any springs or shocks, especially with all the aftermarket options, let alone LR OEM!

From what I understood, those were the parts for the 50th, from both LR microcat as LR Parts spec'd the parts, and they matched a few older posts on here stating the same. So far, I have not noticed much change in ride height. Just sits as it did before. Mind you, my old springs were not OEM shocks and springs (orange springs and the DeCarbon shocks fitted aftermarket by previous owners).

So far the ride is as good as it was but much tighter and compliant, but I'm sure that is down to the new shocks with bushes. I guess the springs will also settle down too. Only fitted last week. No pictures yet.
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
MikeB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aaron,

Yes, they are the parts specified for the vehicle. I reckon they were changed on the production line to a lower rating and not back changed on the spec. For Range Rovers and Discoveries they specify lower rate front springs for the V8's and I reckon that's what was put on ours. My original front springs are definitely a lower rate than those specified on micro cat.

Cheers,
Mike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: