www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drip Drip Drip!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Drip Drip Drip! Reply with quote

Was anybody else out in that heavy rain yesterday afternoon? I know Defenders leak, but I did think the 50th was above that! Not so, heavy rain, down the M1 from Northampton and my right shoe was sodden from the drip drip drip Sad . I'm sure this is not just my 50th - any pointers from those of you who have already discovered this - and fixed it? Where do I put that squirt of mastic? Until then I'll invest in a rubber mats to at least keep the drivers side carpet dry!
jonathan.day

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: water leaks Reply with quote

when I worked in the landrover main dealer, I was horrified to discover a thirty page service booklet on fixes for all the water leaks on a defender!
sounds like you have to replace the opening vent seals, and check the door tops are not letting it in at the top of the seals in the corner, if that doesn't work, you may have to replace the gaskit between the bulkhead and the windscreen with a big thick bead of high quality silicone, but that means taking the roll cage apart.
if its any consilation, I have to do it on my girlfriends one too!
SteveT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathan - thanks for that info. Been down in Devon for a few days last week and again got caught in heavy rain. Which allowed me to draw a conclusion, esp with your info on 'door seals'. I noticed, which concured with my trip back from Northampton that the 'leak' only happened about 20 or 30 minutes after the drivers door had been opened when it was raining hard and water was flowing off the roof. Driving in heavy rain does seem ok (fingers crossed!). I'm working here on the presumption that rain water fills the door seals and then works its way through until it finally drips on my right shoe - for a limited time only! Or do you think I'm grasping at straws here - lol! A complete seal rebuild is not what I have in mind - but good luck with yours!!!!! Good feedback - thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: