www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Land rover defender 50th for sale, 60,000 miles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50thanniversaryforsale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Land rover defender 50th for sale, 60,000 miles Reply with quote

Land rover 90 defender 50th 60,000 miles , service history etc, very good condition and well looked after,
£14995
if you are interested do not hesitate to call on 01483268941
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I think you've overpriced it. If you get anywhere near that price for it then I'm giving up looking for one, I actually mean that. Confused Yes, yes (everyone reading this on the Register) I know that the 50th was a true one-off, and I 'get' it about having what is a collectors' edition, but you can get a cracking late 90 for a little more than £15k - 'ordinary' 90 maybe, yes, but with the modern dash, air con, heated seats, clean chassis, etc. Some 50ths can still be a bit tatty despite the asking price, and require cleaning up (which cannot be done cheaply). I really do think people have to be more realistic about pricing their 50ths. However, they are ALWAYS worth what someone will pay, so I may be proved wrong on this one, but I doubt it. Good luck anyway.

Just an opinion, but I'm leaning more and more towards getting a nice CLEAN 2010 90XS for £16k that I don't have to spend any money on.
Defender-less - but big plans!
50thanniversaryforsale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, i know what you are getting at, however, this 50th is pretty brand new, needs no money spending on it. it literally has not a scratch on any panel. as for getting a 2010 XS. ye you can get one for the money but is it a V8 petrol automatic 4 litre ltd edition, well the answer is no. a 50th is a monster of a car. your comparison is like comparing a brand new c class, to a old top of the range model mercedes. yes they are same sort of price. it's just your preference. do you want to drive an average yet good 4X4 or do you want the top of the rang monster of an engine. they are completely different. it's like comparing chalk and cheese. there is no comparison. at the end of the day it is all personal preference...
Spooner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Yes, you can get another 90 for the money but it won't have a factory fitted V8 Auto fitted. Its this which attracts most buyers/collectors for 50th's. Prices are only going one way at the moment. Good luck with the sale.

GB168 - electric, yes, electric sunroof Smile
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good 60,000 mile car can easily make 15k, find another one, they are becoming rarer and prices have been on the up.
I don't think you need luck, if there is a buyer for a nice one it will sell Smile
You can't compare a 50th to a later defender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course I'm seeing it rather more coldly - as I'm no longer a 50th owner (and I tend to see things for what they are anyway, rather than have my thoughts swayed by affection). Admittedly, factory-fitted V8 AND auto is why I went for one originally. I think Land Rover missed a trick (again!) by not producing automatic Defenders. I spoke to a showroom salesman once who said he could have seen them fly out of the doors, and he couldn't understand why LR couldn't see the sales.

Unfortunately I have seen quite a few 50ths described as 'immaculate' and then seen bubbling paint, rusting chassis, and a tatty interior. However, I must say that if your 50th is as you describe then you may indeed get £15k for it - though you may have to wait.

To return to my original point, yes of course the 50th is very special, but it ignores what you have to spend to get it 'nice' - like a late 90XS. I think you CAN compare the different Defenders...because they are both Defenders underneath. To be fair, what you did was to compare two differing Mercedes, whereas a Defender 50th (to someone not into these) looks identical to a 90XS because they are the same car! I was told by an ex-LR man that LR didn't know what to do with a big pile of unsold NAS 90s - and then someone came up with a '50th' solution. I know that followers on the Register won't like that, but that's what I was told is 100% true. I'm not saying that the 50th isn't as special as everyone thinks, but just trying to inject a bit of realism. A Defender has many guises, the older SV90, the older V8, Tomb Raider, etc. But they are all Defenders underneath.

You are right, it is personal preference, and I genuinely wish you well in your sale. But as I said, if yours sells for that price then in the words of Duncan Bannatyne, I'm out.
griffman500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear

what can of worms has been opened here...................

Asking prices are one thing......................actual sale price is another.

Chris wood recently bought a decent one for £9600 - but had to spend 4k to bring it up to scratch - however he knew this when he bought it.

The chap who bought Colin700's car stumped up 15,750 of her majesty's pounds but did not need to spend anything as the car was perfect in every way.

Simon Durant recently sold 201 for 12800 - with a new engine with top-hat liners(supplied by me!), three new doors, and a fantastic detailing by Simon himself.

A car local to me sold for £8900 with only 54000 miles - mechanically perfect but needed a rear crossmember, new doors and a respray - which was done for 3k.

It all comes down to how much someone will pay.

It seems about 15k is the right price for a perfect car with a good history - one then works backwards from there depending on how much work needs to be done.
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now, number 201 is what I am on about. £12,800 sounds just about right, and by that I mean no more. £13k is what I would expect to pay for something that is just perfect (for a 15 year old Defender, albeit a 'special' one). I do mean perfect, not what seems to pass for perfect. And remember, these are private sales with no garage warranties. My point is that £15k is beyond me (even though I have the money) because I just can't help comparing it with a very clean 90XS - and believe me I have seen some cracking late Defenders.

As with property though, it is worth what someone will pay. A beach hut went for £180k at Mudeford recently! I don't want to bow out of looking for a 50th (when the time is right) but they 'seem' to be creeping up in price according to some people, but I'm actually not sure that's true...because of the point you make about asking/selling price.

When you look at the link below you start to think the world's gone crazy...
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306267499010/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/model/defender/make/land_rover/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/postcode/rg304hf/page/1?logcode=p
50thanniversaryforsale

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a huge reason for why they can make this money and potentially more! easily. yanks love them. and nearly all of them are being sold to the states. that is why prices are increasing. the car i am selling is genuinely brand new , with shit loads of good service history. i have failed to see another landy in general in this condition. and my parents own a land rover garage. now that is saying something. you literally couldn't try and spend spend money on this car.
Spooner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puddle? wrote:
... My point is that £15k is beyond me (even though I have the money) because I just can't help comparing it with a very clean 90XS - and believe me I have seen some cracking late Defenders.

I'm still a bit confused. A 90XS is a diesel Defender - How can you compare when two key parts of the vehicle, namely the engine and transmission are so different? There are loads more 90XS around than 50th's too. It's supply and demand that it setting the price these days. Owners are holding onto them. 'Collectable' is open to debate, but unique, yes, they certainly are.

What puddle?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not ALL Americans love LRs
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2404372/4x4-fans-look-away-Land-Rovers-imported-U-S-CRUSHED-customs-failing-safety-rules-dont-airbags.html
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin. As I said, I see it rather coldly perhaps, but they are still Defenders. It's not a different drivetrain that makes them different, it's the whole package. And underneath they are both 'identical'. Don't get me wrong, I love the 50th, why else would I be here, why else would I have owned one, why else would I be looking for another? You must be aware that there are loads of 90s out there with V8 and auto conversions (not factory, admittedly). I know, I once had one. There are the excellent Ashcroft conversions too. For me though, it comes down to what you can get for around £15k. Do you want a 4 year old Defender with air-con, excellent chassis, nice dashboard, good ventilation, heated & forward-facing seats, excellent diesel engine, and no bits falling off? Or do you prefer a 15 year old, great V8, auto, air-con, roll-bar...but with a dated interior, side seats, and a little tatty around the edges?

Now, I'm still wrestling with that! As I said, for £15k it would have to be perfect if it's going to be the latter. The best 50th I've seen is £18,000 though. I know what you're saying Gavin, and believe me, on a daily basis I'm wringing my hands about which to buy. But all the ones I've seen for 'reasonable' money aren't what they are often advertised as. I'm driving her-indoors crazy with my deliberations, but don't want to make a mistake. I would also be getting rid of a great Volvo C70 coupe-cabriolet in the process (that's been brilliant to drive around in this summer), so if I make the wrong choice then I'm going to doubly kick myself. I would also want forward-facing seats in my 50th, and apparently that's not cheap.
Spooner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

Let's agree to differ Smile Trust me, as a owner of a 4 year old 110 XS Puma...bits do fall off the newer models Crying or Very sad and they break down/spit out oil. My brake vacuum unit went pop a couple of weeks ago whilst in France spraying oil under the bonnet. Before that its been back to the dealers for various bits of work. But its a Defender and as such, I'm merely a custodian until the next owner has it.

Good luck in your search.

What puddle?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - and I'll keep thinking what to do Shocked

There was an Auto Express survey recently that found German engines are the most likely to fail?!? Surprised me.
griffman500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50thanniversaryforsale wrote:
there is a huge reason for why they can make this money and potentially more! easily. yanks love them. and nearly all of them are being sold to the states. that is why prices are increasing. the car i am selling is genuinely brand new , with shit loads of good service history. i have failed to see another landy in general in this condition. and my parents own a land rover garage. now that is saying something. you literally couldn't try and spend spend money on this car.

Utter nonsense - the only Landies being allowed in are over 25 years old and then they have to be 90% original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: