www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crankshaft Oil Seal Leaking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft Oil Seal Leaking? Reply with quote

I have oil dripping (2 or 3 drips a night) from around the join between engine and gearbox. Not sure if it's from the crankshaft oil seal or running down from above.

Does anyone know if the small round plate (3 bolts) on the underneath of the gearbox near to the engine is an inspection cover or is holding back lots of fluid?

Thanks.
Bush Tucker Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil leaks!?1

It's a Land Rover, it's simply marking its territory, just like a Dog Laughing
romadog2004

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT TOUCH THAT PLATE - ALL THE GEARS WILL FALL OUT !!!! Laughing Wink

Only joking.
That is an inspection plate. it is used to allow a piece of wood to be inserted infront of the torque convertor to stop it falling off the main shaft when removing engine. As it is at the bottom of the bell housing any oil in the there may leak from it. Rear crankshaft seal is common on v8s. Cheap part but alot of effort to change. Check type of oil in case it is coming from the gearbox. Also engine sump gasket tends to leak towards the rear. Carefully check bolts for tightness. I think it may be a rubber gasket on these v8s which should be replaced if they weep.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Jeremy
GB278
tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy

I'll have a closer look to see if I can pinpoint the source. Fingers crossed for the sump gasket!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: