www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50th and LPG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fybot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: 50th and LPG Reply with quote

I have a TD5 Disco which has been hijacked by the wife and turned into a supermarket trolley. My previous Disco was a V8 Auto with LPG and I'm convinced it cost no more to run than the new one does. The only slight downside was the lack of range. It was certainly more fun to drive!

As I have started looking for a 90CSW, striclty for myself, it occurs to me that the ideal would be a 50th. To get to the point, does anyone have any experience of LPG conversions? What type of capacity/range can be achieved and where would the tanks go?

Thanks in advance.
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In reply to your LPG post. I had my 50th fitted to run on LPG about 3 years ago. I looked at many options and many fitters - be careful there are a lot of cowboys out there fitting LPG kits. In the end I opted for the AG kit - quote from the www.greenfuel.org.uk website.

"AG, based in Holland, have been developing Autogas systems for many years and have a reputation for producing reliable and robust equipment. Their Latest SGI 'Sequential Gas Injection' system is available for both Powershift and Non-Powershift vehicles."

See also this website: http://www.amrautos.co.uk/ which has loads of links and useful photos - the P38 RR 4.0SE has the same V8 lump as the 50th - I went to see these guys but in the end went for a more local fitter in the Bradford area (Northern Autogas) who did an excellent job on time and within the quote. Since fitting I have had no problems at all and the only servicinng has been annual safety checks and replacement filters.

I have two underslung tanks which give me a range of 150 - 170 miles depending on local or motorway runs. The drivers side is the bigger 48l of the two tanks (other 30l) and these are nicely disguised by the SS side steps on the 50th. If you want more capacity then you have to have an internal tank and you basically loose two rear seats. Unslung tanks cost more as brackets have to fabtricated etc.

With regards filler point minie is in chequer plate below the fuel cap others have had them mounted into the NAS rear step. In all I paid 2350 inc vat.

You loose some power as the calorific value of LPG is less than petrol - but it is not noticable. Recently I fiited NKG plugs and Magnecor leads (see my earlier post on this) which improved performance.

If you want to go further I understand Mark Adams had the AG system fitted to his RR by AMR and he has remapped the ECU accordingly. One day I will contact him and have this tweak done to my 50th - cost is arround 700 - so not cheap.

You obviously know LPG anyway after having it on the Disco - all I can say is go for sequential multipoint what ever you do and you should if fitted well have no problems.

Hope this helps - some good 50th's around at the moment with low mileage. Good Luck - I can't get mine off the wife she love it so I have to make do with the Freelander !

If I can help any more give me a shout.

Simon
fybot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated Simon!

Thinking back, I remember that I had to run the car on petrol for 100 miles or so after every service. This apparently due to the fact that the "self-learning" elements of the ECU were being reset.

Do I take it that your setup retains the regular fuel tank and that you actually start on petrol before switching to gas?

Steve.
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes still got standard petrol tank for strat up. The LPG system kicks in when the engine is warm - usually under a mile even on the coldest days and the petrol kicks in when LPG is empty.

After a service my sytem has no self learning to do and runs as per normal. Any technician/mechanic can service the engine etc - the filter is a simple self change - think they cost about 25 notes as it's a sealed in line unit. It is now becoming commom practice that the LPG system should be inspected once a year - this is around 50.

Rolling Eyes By the way there is a 50th on the Autotrader website with LPG, low mileage and other bits of kit asking 14k - may be worth asking about ? Check if the LPG system is single or multipoint though.

Cheers

Simon
#149 Rolling Eyes
fybot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to call the AutoTrader seller but he seems pretty busy. At the risk of heading off-topic, is there any info on what colours were originally produced and their proportion of sales?
fybot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... found the answer myself, over in "About ...", Atlantis blue only.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 50th on Autotrader has about 80,000 mile on the clock, so not that low.

There were 2 people last week who posted about selling, both dont have LPG but are low mileage.

Gus's 50th with 25k miles:
http://www.defender50th.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=145

Russells 50th with 17k miles:
http://www.defender50th.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=146

Best regards

James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fitted a 36 and a 25 ltr underslung tanks gives me around 130 miles
if its any use to you.
fully sequencial its a sod to fit and i know of a guy who can do it for you if you want fora round 500 quid.
it took me 5 and a half days to fit the system and even though i took my time and made it a professional fit it aint worth trying to do it your self.
if you need a contact for your bits so you can do it yourself try AUTO FT there on the south coast and it will cost you around 1500 quid for the bits allone.
the system is a top system that mimicks your petrol almost perfectly.
Alex Bramberg is the contact name.
all the best chris093
jonathan.day

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am just about to fit BRC sequent fast system to my girl friends 50th no 380,2x36l tanks,as it feels like its doing 12mpg to me,I don't know how people can talk about 18mpg,thats not going to happen on this one! have fitted approx 40 lpg kits already,so long as fuel doesn't go up much,your mad not to have one,careful fitting will result in the minimum of holes drilled in this priceless piece of art! joking! cheers Johny
Coyote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: MPG Reply with quote

Well, GB276, bog standard, does 16mpg in relaxed suburban use, and 19.9mpg on a long motorway run, cruising at steady 75mph, moderately loaded.
Widget

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: MPG Reply with quote

I think I got into single figures on the way up to Gaydon yesterday! (It was bouncing off the limiter though and there was no way the Heritage 90 was getting past Embarassed )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: