www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50th Defender
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PARBS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: insurance on supercharged 50th Reply with quote

Hi

We are currently waiting for Sureterm, Firebond and NFU to get back to us. It was complicated because Dr Jim had never insured it with all its modifications!!
We had concerns over the high mileage and problems that may cause to the engine - but James French assures us that it has only done 40,000 since the new engine. He has given us a whole years guarantee.

I just know it will all go horribly wrong somewhere down the line but I know if I don't try it I will regret it - what is it they say "one life - live it"

Perhaps I am going through the mid life crises!!
Allan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you let us know how you get on with the insurance comapnies...?

Just a thought, might be worth giving Overfinch a ring as they must know who will insure their beasts, including the 5.6 litre conversion... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Allan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read James' post and I think I agree with him.

If you have money to burn, in terms of insurance depreciation, repairs, fuel, then good for you. However if you haven't then it is bit of a risk. The engine alone in that Defender came to 12,000 and if it goes bang Shocked then thats what you are looking at to replace it. You need to read the warranty REALLY carefully as a lot of things are not covered even with the best ones...

The other point is do you really need all that power..? By way of an example, my last car was a Porsche Boxster. In my opinion the best 2 seater sports in the real world. I sold it because it was just a waste of money. I get to work in the same length of time in Katy as I did in the Porsche. No difference at all despite the 6 second 0 - 60 and 150mph top end. You just can't use it on public roads without seriously risking a ban.

The 50th's handle a lot better than the TD5 but it is still nearly 2 tons of steel / aluminium / waxoyl that you are in and if memory serves I don't think there was a braking upgrade on that 50th, though I may be wrong. The discs of the standard 50th fill the inside of the 16's quite tight. I think there are DeCarbon gas shocks all round on that one but it still is a Defender with beam axles and it will still need piloting rather than driving...Very Happy

My Katy doesn't have the gearing upgrade or the Mark Adams chip but, especially if you use the gears individually, she will see off most of the euroboxes from the lights... The thing is if you want a sportscar then buy one. If you want a truck that you will utterly love and know will get you anywhere and you can do anything in then get a 50th...

And the answer to the question is yes Katy is by FAR the better car - I can honestly say I can't think of another car I would rather have... Very Happy
Bush Tucker Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan wrote:

I can honestly say I can't think of another car I would rather have... Very Happy

Butting in, I can.......

'69 Dodge Charger 440R/T (or the 426 'Hemi')
'68 Ford Mustang GT390

TVR Griffith 500
TVR Sagaris (like this one. Don't it look evil Twisted Evil ??)
Allan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I know what you mean, but unfortunately I am not in a position of being able to afford two cars at the moment.

When I bought my Boxster I had actually been trying to buy a TVR Griffith..! A very nice 500 in Starmist Blue with low miles and full TVRSH. If you have never been out in one all I can compare the acceleration to is being shot out of a cannon... I took it out for a test drive and had it in second gear doing about 30mph and pulled out into the outside lane and floored it... Then several things happened...

Things stood still for a second...then ALL HELL was let loose... I stopped breathing... I took my foot off the accelerator and looked at the speedo which was reading 80mph... started breathing again... then started hyperventilating and was actually considering pulling over to regain some composure...

Very very memorable experience.

Unfortunately it is not a car for everyday use although I know a few people who do use them as their only transport. The same things apply, probably more so, to these cars as to the Boxster. Utterly pointless for 99% of the time as you can only go as fast as the Micra in front of you and you pay through the nose for the pleasure of owning one. The other thing was I had only had the Boxster a month and someone kindly keyed it for me whilst I was at work. For about a 12 month period of ownership I think it cost me in total (including everything) something like 7,000..!!! For the 1% of the time when the sun is out, the road is dry and the police and scameras are not about I just didn't think it was worth it.

I have owned something like 25 or 30 cars now from a Fiat 126, two actually (brilliant little cars) through Mercedes, Porsche, Lotus Sunbeam, Triumph, and many more mundane ones. Out of all of these I still stand by my statement that this is the best car I have ever owned.

At least with my Landy I know she will get me home whatever the weather, even at 0100 when i'm knackered, with an inch of snow on the ground, on ungritted roads, down my drive which is steep and cobbled without any fuss (January I think) or when the mill pond flooded and everyone else was emptying water out of their cars mine was still dry (Sep 04). I can take her out and play in the mud and rocks or load her up and go walking / camping / cycling or just pop stuff to the tip or back from the supermarket. I can cruise at 80mph on most motorways in pretty good comfort. Classic shape that will never date and is Internationally recognised.. Impeccable heritage. Legendary off road ability. Gorgeous V8 sound. Cheap parts (4 shocks cost me nearly 1,000 for the Porsche). Easy to work on. Very, very low depreciation (~40 - 50% in 7 years).

Utterly, utterly brilliant. It more than makes up for the odd leak and the 14mpg... Very Happy

You wouldn't want a Griff here...!!! Very Happy
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all that Allan!
Is that where you live? Looks 'kin gorgeous...

I used to have a TVR S3 (the 'slow' V6 one)!
It was the only car capable of inspiring the same ownership passion as the LR - it's funny how the two seem to go together - it must be a 'british' thing... both cars built out of a real purpose, both making little sense to anyone who doesn't 'understand'.. Rolling Eyes
Both let water in through the roof, have questionable build quality, very limited (absent) safety systems, but once you have driven one - none of that matters! I would love another one one day - a Griff 500 would do nicely. (Again, as a second car to the LR)!

Back on subject - all I can add is that I too have found the longer you have the 50th, (mine is standard), the more you get used to using the 'box to find all the speed you need - when I first had mine I was desperate to get more speed out of it, and wanted to throw money I don't have at it, but a year on I am happy to put that further down the list of priorities... Have to deal with some rust, interior comfort and parts that are wearing out first!
However fast 0-60 it goes, it's never going to turn into a RR Sport, or a Porche Cayenne (or however u spell it), and as I found last weekend in the Pennines, 6 up + dog + mountain gear, you don't go fast into corners, in fact you don't want to go too fast at all in case you have to stop quickly when you meet a tanker on the wrong side of a small road!
(I kept my cool - passengers less so! Even the dog farted!). Laughing
If you do a lot of driving on motorways & duel carrigeways, then I can understand the point of 0-60 improvements. Then you may find the more cost-effective solution of transfer gear mod & chip is all you need, and will not attract the same insurance premiums?

On the positive side though - I got mine from James French, and they sorted out the couple of (albiet) minor problems in it's year of warrenty, no hassel. They are quite familiar with the 50th there, and have done mods for their 50th customers... I would be happy to go to them again.
PARBS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: 50th supercharged Reply with quote

Promised I would update you on the insurance front - we are now covered through Sureterm.
NFU not interested because "we had no previous dealing with them" - ? how do they get new customers?!!
Firebond - too expensive.
Sureterm is less than 700. As it is another vehicle I have had to start this insurance from scratch - so it will go down as long as I don;t make any claims.

I am pleased to read the positive note about James French - he seems a really nice genuine guy to me.
I will be collecting the beast on Sat.

Wish me luck!!
Allan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARBS,

Excellent... Very Happy

All I can say is VROOM VROOM VROOM...!!!! Laughing Laughing

Remeber though... we NEED pictures....!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: