www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HAS THE BOTTOM FELL OUT OF THE 50TH MARKET?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooltide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: HAS THE BOTTOM FELL OUT OF THE 50TH MARKET? Reply with quote

As some of you may be aware, I am selling my tricked up defender. I put it in the auto trader for 13500, and have now reduced it to 12950 due to a lack of interest. I have mostly had offers of swops for german cortinas and no-one is prepared to pull out the money.
One chap came to see it, and told me a story of another 50th he had been to see in rough condition with high mileage. He offered 6k for it and was told that he had already had an offer of 6k so he would have to do better.
Meanwhile, 50th defenders are being advertised in LRO LRE etc for prices ranging from 13k to the absolute riduculous.
I have an offer on an interesting swop today so checked parkers for the price. In order to have the full facts in front of me, I paid the 2.99 and got a valuation on my "VAN"; the cheek. It makes disappointing reading.

1999 T reg 4.0V8 50 county station wagon mine has 68000 on the clock
68000 miles dealer - 10460 / private good - 8865 / private poor 6500
40000 miles dealer - 11565 / private good - 9970 / private poor 7510
30000 miles dealer - 11965 / private good - 10370 / private poor 7875

Many of you have an S reg so here goes for a 98S
60000 miles private good - 8830
40000 miles private good - 9560

I have recently seen a couple of traders advertising 50ths in the auto trader for between 10 and 11K. They looked like nice examples. So what is the explanation?

Do the book prices only take in auction results as it is a rare vehicle, or have 50th owners got big ideas regarding the value of their vehicle?
Allan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you're selling your 50th.

I'm not entirely sure that the trade guide figures are reliable in the case of a 50th as I suspect they will be extrapolated from the TD5 which is a very different vehicle.

Don't be too disheartened by all the stories of people being offered 2.50 for one that is in 'much better condition.'. There are a lot of idiots out there who try their luck and piss the rest of us off... And I think we've all had them when selling cars.Evil or Very Mad

I've certainly never seen a 50th go for less than 10,000 but James knows more about value (and most other things) than I do so wait for his post.

You could always try putting a for sale sign on it at one of the shows... bit of a target audience... just a thought...

If I thought I could get one for 6k id have two if not more on the drive... Very Happy
romadog2004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately take it to any land rover events with a for sale sign. Dont use auto trader cause everyone who reads it is out to get something for nothing. Remember your average Td5 doesnt look as tidy or drive as smooth or sweetly as your 50th.I drive a Td5 everyday and can jump into my 50th straight afterwards and in no way feel like i'm still driving the same vehicle.It doesnt rattle at the traffic lights like my Td5 does..have to check the rev counter to see if it is still running !!
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with allan sell it at the shows.
peterbrough 10th sept and stoneleigh on the 24th of sept.

put on a reasonable figure in the window and place it spotlessly on our stand if you realy have too.
Doncaster Defenders.
im sure we will have room for you and your more than welcome.

dont forget the polish, they always sell better if spotless.

i will even try and get you into the arena if you wish to help you sell it, although like Allan im sad to here your getting rid of it.

i've got to ask if you don't mind....

why? and what would you get in stead.???

just get your freind to rev the engine a couple of times for you while your at the back of the car.....breath in the fumes turn round three times and bag your head on the hardest thing near you....not the landrover!
then say to your self no no no i want to keep my landrover 50th...

im sure it will work for you like it works for me!

heheheheheehehe.

all the best either way
Chris093
cooltide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love this one too, but it's my wife's and her shoulder is knackered. Getting in and out is a prolonged and agonising affair for her. Driving it long distances is out of the question. I get the earache.

I've got a range rover brooklands V8 myself (it's on http://www.rover-rally.co.uk/ 2nd in class this year) It has cost me the earth, so the 50th has got to go. I use the rangey for work as a fencing contractor. That's no life for a 50th. I'll still get to listen to that burble from the V8 so all is not lost Wink
cooltide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rover-rally.co.uk/images/2005/100_4345.JPG WOR LASS'S
http://www.rover-rally.co.uk/images/2005/100_4358.JPG MY BIG V
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's my thoughts.

I would say the prices of Defender 50th have been dropping over the past year or two. Four years ago prices were about 15-16k, they stayed at this till about two years ago. Then the vehicles were now over 5 years old, many having 3 or four owners, and people were not prepered to pay over 15k.

Most the defender 50th now, being 7 years old, are bad condition. The market is washed with these average/bad condition vehicles so they are going to fetch less money.
There are few very good condtion vehicles left, and the real colector who wants a 50th as its special will pay good money for a nice example. So good ones can still fetch 14 or 15k as there are not many of them.

Now your one has quite high milage (compared to others), scratches on the body work and holes in the centre consol so people are going to go for a better condition more standard one. Another problem is yours does not have the 50th plaques, so may not be as desirible as a 50th.
The only one i can think of like your i have seen sold about 2 years ago, was off road preparded like yours and sold for 10,500.

As said your best bet is to take it to a land rover show, as there will be people who will fall in love with it. But mark it up at a sensible price.

Anyways, good luck with selling it

best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bush Tucker Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In June(?) I took mine to an independant dealer a few miles away, the Huddersfield LandRover Centre, & was offered 8,500 - 9,000.

That was against a 'P' 110Tdi CSW (priced at 13,500)
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush Tucker Man wrote:
In June(?) I took mine to an independant dealer a few miles away, the Huddersfield LandRover Centre, & was offered 8,500 - 9,000.

We are talking Defender 50th rather than discoverys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cooltide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice james. it seems that i'm either going to have to hang on for the right price or take a hit. I've been offered a 52 plate 03spec forester 2.0X in exchange but that would be trading into much deeper depreciation. I might be more tempted for an XT (sheep worrier), but without the money in my hand, the choices are limited to what's on offer.

cyscrofer you are a true gent by the way. very kind of you to offer. had not planned to go to lro show, but you have a point.

might put one of them je spring lowering kits on, a set of more comfy seats and make her keep it yet!
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your wife's problem with it, my partner has a problem with her neck, and as the LR is our weekend car, we do all our long distance runs and hols in it, and she reckons it's making her neck worse... Sad
She has suggested we use her car instead, but as this would defeat the reasons for owning the LR, I am in a bit of a fix... but not close to selling it yet, as I would lose too much money on it, and besides, I have too much I still want to do with it!!
The height of the car is not a problem, just the hard suspension... I am still trying to establish the best way of improving this (best 'comfort' shocks, better seats etc). Just short on cash to do it, I may have to borrow to sort it out...
I was wondering though, if you dropped the ride height to improve access - you may find the ride gets stiffer - is this not going to make it worse for your wife?
As for seats - I think Allan said the trakker fronts have better padding in the base - might be worth trying the foam kits to see if it helps? - I am hoping to get these when I can.
Oh, and although we've been through the shocks subject before (and just about every make has been recommended) if anyone has changed theirs to some that did make the on-road ride more comfortable (not concerned with off-road performance, or high-speed cornering) then let us know? Smile
Bush Tucker Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defender50th wrote:
Bush Tucker Man wrote:

Yes, I know, I was simply offering that as a comparison between the 50th varients
cooltide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most comfortable springs i've ever experienced were the original equipment ones on my range rover classic. don't know what the shocks were, definately not gas charged though. it just rode over potholes like they weren't there. my mate fell asleep in it on a 50mile drive back from work and kept on raving about it being the most comfortable motor he'd ever been in. he normally stops half way to vomit and stays awake winging, not a good passenger. they'd fit straight onto a defender, same diameter. the range rover is rated as 3050kg MAM, same as a defender 90 i think.
DaveT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the 50th? Shocked

The mrs would be sold first Laughing
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush Tucker Man wrote:
defender50th wrote:
Bush Tucker Man wrote:

Yes, I know, I was simply offering that as a comparison between the 50th varients

Was just pointing it out for other users as your the only non Defender 50th owner on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: