www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Tow Bar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjs993

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Which Tow Bar? Reply with quote

Help please.

I have just acquired a 50th Anniversary Defender and need to fit a tow bar. Is it simply a case of fitting a ball to the rear step? This looks rather high - how does this sit with your average trailer? Feedback please.

It will mostly be used for towing car trailer - with a historic rally car.

Thanks
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

high if it's any use i tow a twin axle caravan and i have to use the lower holes and fit a four inch drop plate to get the caravan exactly level.
drop plates are about a fiver to buy and a couple of quid for the extra two bolts.
this when your cars on standard springs not raised in any way.
hope this helps
ttfn
chris093
rjs993

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason why drop plates should not be used with the step? I just seem to remember reading that they should not be used together!

While on the subject do you know the best way of tackling the wiring? i.e. is there a connection (TD5?) that plugs in to the loom or is it simply a case of using the little blue connectors to pick up signal/power?

Thanks for your help.
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know of any reason why not to use a drop plate with the step, but there maybe one ...all i can say is it pulls nicely a 2.1 ton caravan.
as to wiring dont use those death trap connectors (scotch locks) they should be banned from all vehicle wiring.
solder or any other connector but not those please....
i don't think theres a connector specifically for connecting to a trailer socket.
there are some connectors behind the speaker grill on the passengers rear speaker if it's any use....dont now if you can pick any of them up for your purposes.
hope this help
chris093
romadog2004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you hack into your precious loom just go to your local land rover dealer and buy the proper wiring kit which i'm 99% certain just plugsinto connectors behind one of the rear speakers.It should confirm this in the fitting instructions.

Regards
Jeremy
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they step is fine to use a drop plate on. The 50th step is a proper tow step, maybe some of the other lighter weight steps now availible would not cope.

Well worth doing what Jeremy says, he is probally right about the plug as he has had alot of fun playing with a 50th loom Laughing

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: