www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air suspension systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Air suspension systems Reply with quote

Anyone need advice and theres lots of it such as dont do it unless you feel very very confident about engineering to include welding electronics and mechanical engineering in general.

air todate.

i have spent now threee and a half months either preparing or fitting air to the landy ready for billing.
so far i have one front corner done.
and im very very happy indeed.
using a standard shocker and a lot of calculations i have achieved travel of say minus three inches and plus a foot or so on the standard setup.
using p38 airbags and a hell of a lot of modifications to brackets and mounting point things are finally coming together.
the main problem i've had is the air leaks on the 150 joints or so on the control block.
it got that bad i ended up sweating most of the joints together to avoid leaks.
a tip if you do decied to build your own valve block like me firstly dont and secondly dont use nickle plated brass fittings use iron.!!!
the nickle plated aint strong enough to hold the valves.
all built in 1/8 bsp fitting and the speed result very impressive.
better than the p38 for speed of rise and decent.
cant wait to have all corners done will be great to say the least.
next tip dont use the p38 air bags the fitting on the top need so much work its a pain in the arse!
the chassis wont easily take the air bag tops and im sure there are other bags more easily suited for the means.
i have used twin p38 air pumps not cheap but work well and wouldnt mind finding a better set of pumps one day something with a bit more umph.
the controls have also been a nightmare, making the ssytem compatable and yet safe, as well as remote controlled hasnt been easy.
the switching on the multiplexer for the combination remote was a git and again im sure if you look around you can find something easier to fit although it will cost you a bomb.
the display has come from the states as a hand built deadicated display with alarm settings for highier and low pressures as well as a five display read out covering the tank as well as the front corners.
the car i hope will be in the LRO interantional mag in sept this year. alreay spoken to the editior and he's very interseted in putting me a couple of pages in it so keep your eyes open for the motor.
right fingers urting and eyes tired
ttfn
Chris 093
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: