www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance/handling/brakes upgrade?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Performance/handling/brakes upgrade? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of selling my BMW M5 and giving my "Tonka" a bit of a performance makeover. I'll probably make it a bit more road-biased, less roll, better brakes and hopefully some fairly major performance tweaks. Can anyone suggest the best people to do this? Is Overfinch the only one? I heard Scorpion were good?

Any advice welcomed!
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gus,

I have no experience of these companies, so can't help sorry.

But the other one to look into though is JE Engineering...
They are near Coventry which may be a bit of a stretch for you, but are well known for thier performance mods.

http://www.jeengineering.co.uk

Let us know what you end up doing?

Cheers, Ads.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gus,

I would say JE are good as they do alot of work on defenders where as Overfinch is more range rover based.

The kind of things i would do are:

Uprated anti roll bars
Koni shocks and new springs
drilled disks or new bigger calipers and disks
Re-gear the transfer box
Get Mark Adams remaped chips
Get perfomance road tyres

thats a good start, depends how much you want to spend, but that should get you a good handleing 50th with 0-60 of 9.5ish.

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info - Overfinch info is pretty good! Reply with quote

OVERFINCH DEFENDER V8 ‘50’

ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMME

This guide covers our dedicated range of upgrades and enhancements designed specifically for the Defender V8 ‘50’ and is the result of unprecedented market demand.

Conceptually not a million miles from many of the Overfinch Defenders built in the last 10 years, the V8 ‘50’ simply cries out for the proven engineering solutions available from Overfinch, most famous for two and a half decades of high performance Range Rovers. With a total run of only 385 cars the V8 50’s exclusivity is assured. Discerning owners have however been quick to realise that, whilst full of promise, the model doesn’t quite equal the sum of its parts in standard form.

With a track record spanning nearly 30 years of working solely with the Land Rover marque, plus over £4 million spent in R & D, Overfinch are uniquely qualified to change that and make one of today’s few characterful cars also one of the most desirable and intoxicating. Let us help you realise the full potential of this remarkable vehicle - call today for more details.

PERFORMANCE

1. Performance Gearing Conversion
Specially re-ratioed final drive lowers the ultra high USA spec overall gearing to give greatly improved performance and effortless motorway cruising. Makes the car really feel like a 4.0 litre V8. An absolutely essential upgrade.
£995
2. 4.0 V8 ECU Performance Chip
Re-mapped engine management computer improves performance under virtually all conditions without loss of economy. Approx. 14bhp gain. The ideal complement to Performance Gearing Conversion.
£426
3. 460i Performance Engine
A new 4.6 litre V8 engine is fitted in exchange for the existing 4.0 litre unit. Carefully optimised for the Defender automatic application, it produces 243 bhp (+ 61) and 280lb/ft torque (+ 4Cool and makes the V8 ‘50’ into a real road rocket. Greatly enhanced overall performance, original equipment reliability plus increased resale value. Performance has rarely been so sensibly achieved.
From £3,982

4. 570 Ci & 570 HSi High Performance Engines
For the enthusiast who wants the ultimate Defender we offer the acclaimed Overfinch 5.7 litre GM V8 in two states of tune. Ultra powerful and aurally stimulating, they offer 0-60mph in about 6 seconds dead with bullet proof reliability. (See separate information sheet for full details).
POA
LUXURY AND STYLING

5. Sports Steering Wheel
Smaller diameter, 3 spoke leather bound. Gives improved ‘feel’ due to very light weight and padded rim. A suitably stylish wheel.
£261
6. Leather Seat Conversion
Matching grey hide. Greatly improved interior ambience from finest Connolly hides. Optional extra: contrast colour piping.
Front only £595
Front & rear £1,140
7. Overfinch / Recaro Sports Front Seats
The famous Recaro seat design professionally trimmed in matching cloth or leather. Fully integrated installation with adjustable lumbar support. Optional contrast piping available.
From £1,970
8. Chrome Interior Door Handles
Precise copy of original design but in smart, heavy chromed metal.
£158
9. Special Soundproofing
Adds refinement by greatly reducing road, engine and transmission noises.
£680
10. Cruise Control System
Provides the luxury of pre-set constant speed cruising at the touch of a button. Operated via a convenient stalk control
£598
11. Electrically Operated Windows
Fully integrated design with green illuminated switches either side of the automatic shifter.
£562
12. Sports Exhaust System
Stainless steel free-flow design with polished tailpipe and deep, sonorous note.

£499
CHASSIS DYNAMICS

13. Alloy Wheels
8.5 x 16 ‘5C’ sports five spoke (wide track) design. Silver finish
Each £162
As above but with centres coloured in Gunmetal or Atlantis Blue.
Each £194

14. Performance Tyres
235/70 R16H combination road/off-road tyres for improved handling.
Each £141
15. Suspension Upgrade Pack
Gives firmer, more positive cornering with greatly improved control of body lean. Ideal complement to tyre and steering upgrades.
£695
16. Precision Steering Conversion
Sharpens steering response and ‘turn-in’ by eliminating backlash and sponginess in the system. Enhanced accuracy at all speeds.
£485
17. Quick Ratio Steering Box
20% more direct steering ratio vastly improves handling by giving the responses and accuracy of a good sports saloon. A key handling advance for anyone who enjoys their driving.
£785
SAFETY AND SECURITY

18. High Power Headlight Conversion
A useful 42% improvement in light output on both dip and main beams.
£297
19. Central Door Locking
Operates on front doors via the standard alarm system remote ‘plip’.
£442
As above but on all three doors.
£592
20. Heated Front Screen
A real safety feature that can de-frost or de-mist a windscreen in moments. Complete with timer system and heavy duty electrics.
£552
21. Smoked Effect Glass
Available in green or two shades of grey, it reduces glare by up to 38% and solar heat transmission by up to 44%. Gives a very exclusive look to the vehicle for increased privacy. An anti-vandal version is also available which offers good protection against smash and grab type thefts.
From £525
22. Extra Duty Braking Pack
Internally ventilated and cross drilled front disc conversion complete with thermally stable brake pads. Excellent fade resistance with improved pedal feel for increased driving safety. Especially recommended for 4.6 & 5.7 litre engines.
£645

All prices exclusive of VAT but include fitting.
Overfinch reserve the right to change prices without prior notice
See Terms & Conditions of Sale on back of main Price List
Comprehensive 12 months/12 000 mile warranty on all products
Please enquire for full details
issue 8
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmm yum yum!!!
All you need is lots of spare LR tokens! Rolling Eyes

The Ecu re-mapping doesn't seem too badly priced, although the ratio change looks expensive at £1000+... I think Ashcroft do that for more like £300?
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James might be able to say how much he paid for re-mapping as a comparison...

Did you pull that off the Overfinch website Gus?
Do they have any nice piccies of the leather, door handles, steering wheel, exhausts etc - or do you have to send off for a brochure?
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sent me the document - they do have a few pics and could probably send you specifics on request..
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's no hassle I would like to see the interior stuff like steering wheel, seats, door handles..?
If it means scanning and all that, no worries, I'll send off for something myself...
If you've got something you can send I'll pm my email.
Cheers.
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - I didn't get any pics - try overfinch.com
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Re-mapped chips from Mark Adams were £880 in 2000, not sure about his curent prices. He is the guru for the GEMS system so well worth buying from him.

Adam, i have seen various overfinch stuff. The leather re-trim is done nice. I dont like the steering wheel though, here is a pic of a 50th with the steering wheel and expensive sports seats:

http://defender50th.co.uk/50th%20pics/GB%20332%20inside.bmp

The door handles are no longer available Sad

best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
romadog2004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 50th with some overfinch mods already done.
Gearing job : Yes a bit pricey from o/finch...I'm wondering what she was like before as i think she could do better....chaindrive?

ECU tweak: Same as above! Mark Adams is the man, £700+ vat last i heard. Also have Bowler with 50th powertrain, mark has helped a great deal with wiring info etc.

Steering wheel: Get down to Halfords...exactly the same,i think you pay for the o/finch badge.....which falls off mine when i toe it at lights!

Leather front seats: Look the same as standard but are leather...you decide...shop around.

Lecky windows: You'll regret having holes cut in your centre console.??!

Sports Exhaust: Great...something else to polish inc centre box....did mine the other day...good when you need to check your face for that annoying lump of s**t which always seems to drop when your just having a quick browse underneath.

Tinted windows: Dont know who did mine but it looks good ..??!!!!
Door handles: Get the genuine ones!
Save your money for fuel !!
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the contact details for Mark please?
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try v8 Devlopements on the east coast way...
sorry dont have number but have used them lots.
ray is theboss man and they do lots of enginemods like je engineering but half the price!
look em up...worth a phone call at least.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Adam (trades under PharmHouse Marketing name) phone number is 01694 720144 (between 9 and 11 am prefered). He advertises in LRO.

Interesting what you say romadog about the gearing could be better. Mine has a range rover bourg warner chain drive box and its fantastic, would be interesting to compare a re-geared one to mine to see if its better.

best regards

James
GB 002
romadog2004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Adams uses a rolling road at Uxbridge i think, which would be handy for you Gus?!

James, how about meeting at the weekend? At halfords in Newbury? Give some of those Japcrap boy racers something to think about!!!!! Laughing

regards
Jeremy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: