www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VIN number

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: VIN number Reply with quote

Question Question Question

Hi - I know I've bought a odd 50th as its not got a plaque on it and was obviously built for elsewhere. I am going to try and trace and confirm its build history.

However, I did think it would have a normal VIN which indiates a Solihull build but mines SABTVR then 11 digits. Is this similar to anyone else's ??? As I think its odd and SAB means something in particular.

Regards
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is what i know about your 50th:

I first saw it in a service station in telford about 3 years ok, i spoke to the owner and he said it had no plaque as it was one of 2 made for south africa.

Then i saw it on ebay about a year ago, i think it was the same owner selling it as i saw, but it was then listed as one of 2 made for Japan. I knew that was not true as Japan had propper plaqued 50th's.
That got me interested in its history. One pic on ebay showed it on a personal plate witch i thought i had seen before when the 50th was for sale in LRO years ago. I found the mag and phoned the owner (2nd owner i think). He couldnt remember if it had a plaque, but he got if from Nene overland who he belives orgonally suppied it to the 1st owner.

Now the guy you got it from i belive looked into it and he told me that it was made for the royal family of Tahiti but they canceled the order.

I dont know what to belive after all that! Would be great if you find out.

Sorry cant help on the vin

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just found this site, type you vin in to know what it means:

http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

my vin starts with SALLDVBM3WA then a 6 number serial number. it means:

SAL: Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD: Model: Defender
V: Wheel base: 92.9 inch, but designated 90
B: Body type: 2-door station wagon, or hard top
M: Engine type: 3.9 or 4.0 litre injected petrol V8
3: Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 3-speed or 4-speed automatic
W: Model year: 1998
A: Assembly location: Solihull, UK

James
GB002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Nice one James

Simon
carter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: VIN Reply with quote

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Thanks for the information James

Tried the link but doesn't recognise the majority of the VIN, thinks its a bit of a NAS Series II Discovery !!!

Getting a bit concerned that someone in 1998 might of just threw a bag of NAS bits and pieces together and created my beast in the image of a 50th.

Anyway not done yet and will persevere with trying to track its birth certificate.

Regards
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you need to do is contact land rover special vehicle who made them. You may need to go though customer care and they forward your questions.

What did the guy tell you who you got it from? I think he looked into it. He was a member on here, meber name cooltide if you need his contact info.

Best regards

James
GB 002
carter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused Confused Confused

Thanks James

I have spoken with Gavin (cooltide) when buying it and he thinks it was destined for the Tahiti royal family and then had the order cancelled. Also heard that it was meant to go to Japan

As it wasn't registered until Sep 99 it has a SVA period since 1998 so my guess is it went out the country somewhere. Was sold in Sept 1999 by Nene overland with 104 miles on it so I think it been sitting around somewhere. Just gotta find out where.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: