www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Sense of Realism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denis O

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: A Sense of Realism Reply with quote

Firstly congratulations to James for an excellent site. Very informative although it does seem to be under utillised. That maybe something to do with only 350 or so possible owners.

I am not currently a 50th owner. I have a more modest 1985 90 although it does have a competition 3.9 V8, 4 barrel weber and RPi ignition system under the bonnet. I've looked at 50th's over the years and until recently they seem to be fairly bomb proof from a depreciation standpoint. A rarity amongst cars in general and Land Rovers specifically. I should know. My wife drives a 4.6HSE which seems to lose about a grand per week.

As I have been thinking of buying a 50th recently I have done some research and prices seem to vary wildly 10k up to 16k+. Most recently I saw one on e.bay with a starting price of 11k that did not attract a bid during the duration of the auction. There are 2 on ebay at present; 1 with 1 bid at 10k and another with a starting bid of nearly 16k. Needless to say no bids on that one yet.

All these cars are of similar spec, mileages vary but the difference between 50k and 75k does not substantiate the price variation. Some have gas coversions which obviously have a value but nowhere near the 1k+ that the owners paid to have them fitted.

So why do prices vary so. Are the high priced cars actually selling. Are owners hanging onto the belief that the 50th is still depreciation proof and pricing them too high and consequently not selling them.

You would expect to pay more from a dealer like Nene Overland because you get good back up and warranty but surely not from a private sale.

Sorry for my first post to be so long and perhaps, contentious, but I would appreciate some clarification from current owners as to what the real state of the 50th market is at present.
Bush Tucker Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really watched the 50th market too closely recently.
However, the independant dealer I bought mine from (in Dec 2002) is selling another ('S' plated) Discovery 50th at only a 1,000 less than I paid for mine.
Not too shabby I suppose.
50th Freelanders are fairly common, as they bult 3,000 of them.

The other fgiures are

375 (official factory) 90-V8's
100 Range Rovers
1000 Discoverys (Tdi & V8, auto & manual mixture)

I'm building up a website page of 50th's if you're interested. Visit [url=http://community.webshots.com/album/198421278nqgaXC]My 'Web-Shots'[/utl]
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denis,

Thanks. It is not used a great deal but it gets alot viewing it. So if it provides good info and a place to ask question when needed that thats what i wanted it to do Smile

I think the curent Defender 50th market aint to bad. Its getting to the point where some have had 3 or 4 owners and 50 k miles and they are the ones going for 12 - 14,000. there are alot of these so probally dont sell to quick. There are some really doggy ones that will get only 10k.
The next ones are the good condition 30,000 miles with one or two owners with FSH and would go for aroud 14,000, 14.5 maybe.
Every now and again a one owner one with under 30,000 miles pops up and they would get 15,000 if in A1 condition.

Hope this helps

Needd any more help feel free to post or email me

Best regards

James
GB 002
Defender50th@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: