www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Question please Reply with quote

Question Question Hi - have been thinking about a 50th for some time now. I used to have a 90 V8 some time ago and regretted ever selling. Question is, I was a tight fit in my old 90 V8, seat right back job. So, will I fit in a 50th with all the aircon extra bits below facia? doesn't this restrict legroom, I'm about 6 - 2. Also how much trouble has the aircon fitment been? Question Question
Allan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome...

The Defender 50th does not have a bulkhead but is replaced by part of the roll cage so the seats have a lot more adjustment than in a bulkhead Defender. There are on or two on here about your height who manage to squeeze themselves in... Laughing I'm 6' and have no problems whatsoever, oh, and i prefer a very 'Italian' driving position (arms stretched out legs stretched out).

The air con unit is only really an issue in the passenger side as that is where it encroaches most into the footwell. As for reliability, i have had no problems at all, infact it is surprisingly effective at cooling things down, most un-Land Rover like...

You are a bit far away to have a go in mine but no doubt there will be someone closer to you willing to let you have a go in a 50th... Watch this space...

Go on you know it makes sense...
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you will find a 50th quite comfortable for a Defender. As it does not have the rear bulkhed the seat goes back further. You can also fit some mud seat rails for a bit more travel http://www.muduk.co.uk/MUD_Seat_Rails.html.

The aircon does not really afect the leg room for the driver, although it does for the pasanger. I have not had much problems with the aircon, some drip onto the mat but that can be fixed. Its a good idea to run it often or the seals go and it will slowly leak, but overall its great to have.

So now you have no excuses to go buy one Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy

I'm sure some of the taller owner will be along to coment soon.

Let us know how you get on

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Allan beat me to it, we must have been typing our reply at the same time.

Anyways, off to play with the 50th in the garage Smile

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carter,
At 6'6'' I am probably the least likely Defender owner here, and when I first got mine it was a squeeze!
But I fitted the Mud-Rails which relocates the seat both back & upwards, which solves the problem for the arms, and improves the leg positioning.
I still find my right knee is still squeezed a little between the door handle and the wheel though, a smaller wheel would solve this problem, but because I like the original wheel I have learnt to live with it...
There is plenty of head room for me with the seat raised - although I did drop it a little from the standard Mud-Rail height by using smaller spacers than the ones provided, as my eye-line started to get above the top of the side-windows!
At 6'2'' I think you will be a lot more comfortable than me, so you would be fine...

I usually have to go and visit a client in Solihull once or twice a month, so if you ever want me to drop by for you to try mine out for size, drop me a message.
Cheers,
Ads.
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 6'3" ish
it's tight.
mod seats rails asap
bend handbrake lever.
remove door handle.

you'll be fine.

just dont expect to do 500 miles in a day without looking like a cripple afterwards.

talking of handles on doors anybody got any better ones than europas version...
im after a drop down type so there not stuck in your leg when the doors shut...
any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: