www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heated Rear Window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic Blyth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Heated Rear Window Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just joined after meeting some of you at Billing.

Read with interest about fuel guages, gear selector bulbs etc. as have got all the same faults on my 50th!

Has anyone else got a heated rear window switch which illuminates the warning light on the dashboard in the off position and extinguishes it in the on position?!!

Is this just a peculiarity of my 50th? The switch has not been fitted upside down therefore I assume this is a wiring fault.

Any info greatfully received before I remove half the dashboard!

Thanks,

Dominic
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominic, & welcome!

My warning lights behave themselves...
Do you know if the heated elements are on with the switch, or the dash light?
If they are on when the light is on, then tends to suggest that the wiring between the switch & relay has been switched +ive for -ive..?
If the light is on when the elements are off, I'm stumped - as you'd think that the light would be in series with the power to the elements... Confused

If the switch looks ok - and the wiring to the rear of it looks to be the right way around (is it a multi-plug?), then you need to find the relay and check the same - I think relays are very cheap, so it may be worth getting a new one to push in anyway whilst you're there, incase it is causing the fault?

Don't think the dash will have to come off just yet - the relay may be one of the ones by the fuses in the center console, if not there are some under the bonnet I think, have a look in the manual it should say where it is...

But - I'm no expert, just offering thoughts... maybe someone else will have an idea on this!

Good luck!
Adam.

PS - at least things like this aren't controlled by a central computer yet, like in most modern cars! Laughing
I think thats a good thing.....?
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
make sure the wires for the bulb inside the switch arnt shorting out other than that i agree make sure the wiring is correct think if the positive and switched output are the wrong way round then you will light the bulb due to the grounding effect on heated rails. when you switch the heater on the voltage rises so the bulb goes out.
you say the bulb on the switch?
in the origonal drawing the switch isnt illuminated!
is the switch OEM?
Is the illumination on the dash on all the time?
if so the heater is too and the relay must be knackered. have you tried checking the voltage on the element when the light is on / off?
does it match ie 12 volts when lite?
if all else fails check the switch, my drawing states there are only two wires and no bulb but will it trun arouond?
C0072-4 and C0072-2 respectively.(S120)
if not has someone plpayed with the wiring?
C1051-1 from the instrument pack is connected directly to the element and the relay via aWhite/Black wire is this the same as yours?
hope this helps.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominic

Welcome to the forum. glad your finding it of use

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: