www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance/handling/brakes upgrade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooltide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are probably right then james. they're 265 75 x 16 BFG mud tyres. not really designed for road use, but they wear slower than any other mud tyre i've come across.

i tried the insurance pages in lro. many of the adverts divert you to the same broker. the answer i got was "we will not insure a modified land rover for business use" which stuffed me as it's my back up motor when my lpg rangie takes time off for bad behaviour. so much for seeing the wood for the trees. think you've gotta be the national grid to modify a business motor! stuck with my usual local broker who added the business use foc. around 700 premium with the winch declared and my missus having 9 points, and she thinks she's the better driver.

back to the performance mods. in my opinion 3947cc is not enough. it should have been given the 4554cc same engine longer stroke, the drive train can easily handle the power, and the torque improvement dispenses with the gearing issue. if i had an unmodified 50th i'd start here. the 4.6 can be pushed to 275bhp with big valve heads and a suitable cam, even more with a more radical cam, but your idle will suffer. your own engine could be adapted. in a few years you'll have spent the same in dribs and drabs.
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the business use Cooltide - mine has to be insured for that too, for both me & my partner! I had better sort out the insurance issue before I do anything to it... Sad

So you would leave the car as spec. but have the engine incresed to 4.5?
Interesting, how much of the original engine could you keep? Sounds like it would be more expensive than a gear & chip though...?
cooltide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd only really need the short engine or have the existing engine stripped and new crank etc. that would make 230bhp ish. costs around 1650 for new balanced short engine.
but while you've got it all apart the wish list increases as you're already paying the labour to put it back together again, so you might as well get the heads and intake manifold ported. you'd only regret not doing it later. it's like any sporty vehicle, you get used to them and wish they were just a bit sportier.
once you've added chipping and vat, it's going to be around 5grand. not the cheapest mod but definately the most effective.
seen one for sale with a je 5litre engine in this month's LRO. very reasonably priced which goes to show you aint gonna get your mods money back when you sell it
cooltide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked rpi's price for new crank,rods,mains & rod bearings,pistons and piper hi-torque cam to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.6 - 1200
they've also upped the price of their short 4.6 engine to 1950 Crying or Very sad
looks like stocks of the rover block are dwindling

does anyone know of a conversion kit for the new 4.4 jag V8???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: