www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Do You Do In Yours...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: What Do You Do In Yours...? Reply with quote

As Defender owners are rather an eclectic lot I was wondering what the spread of 50th owners are like.

I suspect equally eclectic but it would be interesting to know.

They range from our glorious inner wheel arch polishing, utterly mint defender owner, and leader James GB 002 Laughing to Peter GB 135 who has one of the meanest looking (and my personal favourite) off road Defenders around...

Peter's Defender...

I think there are one or two that have been prepped for overland travel and I know of a couple that are 'pure street', big horsepower conversions.

So the question is who are you, what do you do, and what do you do in yours...?

To start you off;

I'm 37, a doctor, and have just done four years OBGYN however the prospect of working 80 and 90 hour weeks for the rest of my life has led me to retrain as a GP. I'm now an A&E doctor and will be doing dermatology (skin) in August, followed by a year as a GP registrar. So it's probably best not to get ill in Yorkshire..!

I commute in mine and do the usual DIY runs, and she's very handy for getting 6 to the restaurant..! I also take her off road about once a month where she often utterly utterly astounds me with what she can do. I keep her fairly standard but she has got one or two off road tweeks on her now such as OS GPS laptop / TOM TOM Sat NAV / Steering guard / Diff guard / Diff Rock Slider / CB / Sumo track rod / 4 x Bridging ladders / Hi-Lift jack... actually that's quite a lot, it's amazing how these things add up...

Just investigating roof tents / racks at the moment to get away for the weekends... That and about a million other accessories...

Katy up Stanedge Pole - Oh Yes..! (A smooth bit - SERIOUSLY..!)

defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should try and keep it sounding normal or Allan might section me Laughing

I have just turned 22, I trained at Sparsholt for 2 years in Horticulture and now work as assistant head gardener on a private estate.

I'm a self confessed obsessive about land rovers and love Defender 50ths.
I got my first land rover at 17 and by the time i was 19 i had saved up enough and insurance was reasonable enough for me to spend every penny i had on buying my dream car, a 50th. And when i saw GB 002 for sale i knew it as the one for me.

Now what do i do in mine.......... well not alot really. just polish the wheel arches Wink thanks Allan
When i bought it i drove it every day and after a year the mileage had gone up from 15 to 25,000, and it was getting wear a tear. Now some might say that’s what its made for, but i couldn’t stand seeing the condition going down from mint. So i brought a car to used daily and put the 50th in secure dehumidified storage.
I got it out last summer for a few months, went to Billing in it and cleaned it up. It has been in storage over the winter and i'm getting it out again next Wednesday Very Happy

Over the last 3 years i have made some changes to it, personalising it to how i want it. Everything i do to it though can be changed back to original spec and i would never drill the body.
I like customising it and using it as a performance machine on road.
I have an huge list of modifications i would like to do, but i think next is a custom stainless steel exhaust.

As well as having GB 002 i have built up a big collection of land rover 50th anniversary items.

I started this website a couple of years ago because when i bought mine there was very little information available about them, so i wanted to help others who are thinking about buying one. Also i wanted to get the owners together and start the register to see where they all are and what people have done to them.

Anyways that’s me, here is a picture of me if you dare look Razz

http://defender50th.co.uk/50th%20pics/DSC00253.JPG

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go then
im 35 mad on cleaning and polishing my landy 093.
i spend far too much on my car, just spent over a hundred quid this week on silicon hoses.
love doing shows and im in the process of setting up a proper club in Doncaster for all landrover owners.

As to off roading done that and seen that in the past using everything from series to Range Rover Classics with race tune 4.6 TVR motors fitted.

Im power mad love gagits and anything with flashing lights or lots of buttons on it.
im affraid im one of those at the moment with a plastic landrover...

Even as a highly qualifeid engineer i don't make much money so it's taken me ages to get this far and i intend on looking after it.

I have a two year old and im happily married.

The only time the landy realy works is pulling a 2 1/2 ton caravan.

Plans for the future.
Air suspension already started...im determined to wipe the smile of the F reg 90 wit hthe TVR motor who always wins best in show.
have air bags and a single cylinder sorted out the computer just need to save up for it gonna cost a bit cos i want it remote controllable, also have one of two compressors needed to complete the trick.

i also have a bee in my bonet about getting the full four exhaust working on the back of the motor.
Bush Tucker Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Allan I also work for the NHS (in A&E, co-incidentally)

Mine's a Discovery.
It get used for a bit of all-sorts, even recovered 25odd ton trucks with it.

Nothing out of the ordinary has been done to it.

By The Way;
50th album on my 'Web-Shots' (to which Allan kindly contributed photos of 'Katy')

If anyone else wishes to contribute photos of their 50th for adding, please e-mail them to me, with a bit of information;
Rough location (county will do)
Modifications
etc...

640x480 images please.
Thank you

Last edited by Bush Tucker Man on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50th (No. 24) is mostly original spec, apart from lamp guards, A-bar, Croytec dash bits, LED interior lights & K&N filter!
Oh, and Mud Rail seat extensions (vital for a 6 1/2 footer), and cargo net (like Allans).

I am an Architectual Technologist (which means I do the 'techi' side of architectural design, 3D cad stuff etc). After working for various companies around the country, I have set up by myself, so I don't have to do a 100mile commute anymore.
This means I can have my 50th - instead of the diesel motorway cruiser I had to have before!

I have taken out the rear seat bases for a bit extra room, as it's very rare that I need to carry passengers - it has taken me & girlfriend & dog on camping trips, mountain biking and touring Scotland & Northumbria in the snow this winter, loaded up to the roof. (Camping in minus lots degC, yes - they loved it... I think Confused ).
Also for trips to the tip, transporting big things, (like me) etc - it's the mutt's nuts.
A heavy-duty 2 seater estate/van, that's short enough to fit on the tiny bit of dirt I call a drive - just what I was looking for!

Things I would like to do:
2002 dash - if I ever get around to it (to house the electric window switches [which I have], if I ever get round to fitting those!)
Central locking - (have the kit) when I get around to it
Change gear ratio in transfer case - ditto, you get the idea
The best shockers I can afford - when the current ones give up
And - Exmoor leather front seats - yeah, when Father Xmas gets really generous! I'll have the trackkers modular in XS please!

Apart from that, I like the outside as original as poss - if it wasn't for the drilled holes I would probably have removed the guards by now.
The extra lights are a bit of a necessity though, specially 'round here as the nearest street lights are miles away.
Like to see how others customise theirs though - will hopefully see more at the shows...

I'll try and sort some photo's for Bush Tucker Man's site, when I get around to it (u know me Rolling Eyes )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: