www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAM Mounting Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: RAM Mounting Systems Reply with quote

And another good buy this...

I have a Panasonic Toughbook with Memory Map OS mapping software connected to a GPS mouse which gives me a really good mapping system when I am out and about in the countryside.

The difficulty is finding somewhere to mount the laptop without making a complete mess of the dashboard. RAM mounts do a massive range of connectory bits that should fit any installation conceivable. The full catalogue is here - http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/index.htm and you can buy online here - http://www.gpsw.co.uk/index.html When shopping make note of the part number from the RAM site and then search for it on the GPS Warehouse site - it's easier.. GPSW Deliver very quickly by the way. Very Happy

If you want to know what parts I have they are;

C Size Base Mount with long arm
RAM Part: RAM-101U-D-246

Aluminum 1.5" Double Ball Connector
RAM Part: RAM-230

Double Socket Long Arm
RAM Part: RAM-201-D

I initially went for a seat rail mount system, however it was a bit bulky and I didn't really like it so I went for a direct bolt in installation into the passenger seat box. What I have is a three bolt mounting ball joint and two long arms onto a 5" plate. Now RAM do a mount that fits the laptop onto the arm but it is a bit ungainly so I used velcro strips on both the plate and the bottom of the Toughbook which works very well. In fact, it worked so well I had to remove some of the velcro as I couldn't get it off..!

It works really well giving massive amounts of adjustability and it is very solid in use. All the brackets are cast alloy and plastic coated. In fact the only plastic on them are the handles used for adjusting the mount...

It's also handy as you can play DVD's on it..!

See what you think...

Oh and it folds away on itself in the footwell when not in use..!

Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink That gives me an idea - an ideal way to mount the pc or DVD player in the back of the Freelander - it'll keep the kids quite on long journeys - especially down to our chalet in France - must investigate french green lanes in the alps - do they have them ?

Nice one Al.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: