www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog Guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romadog2004

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Dog Guard Reply with quote

Does anyone have a dog guard fitted to their 50th defender?
If so is it the standard one which is fitted to 'normal' bulkheadless 90s? Question
I have aquired one of these and at first try, seemed a bit tight to fit.
The part no. of the one i have is STC 50479.
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted a Raingler bulkhead cargo net I got from MUD to keep the dog in the back - I like it cos it doesn't rattle, and it just straps to the roll bars, so if you don't need it on a trip you can un-strap it and roll it up.
Also it's handy when you have lots of stuff piled up in the back - keeps it there when you have to stop a bit sudden!
Oh and the gaps in the webbing are big enough to get your hand through to reach small items it the back - or to open/close the side windows...
And the cubby box lid opens fully against it...
And if you have seat extension rails like I do - the webbing just stretches around the back of the seat no probs - & you can still get your maps in & out the seat pockets...
Basically, it's so much better than the rigid cage type one I tried before - and no I don't work for them! Smile

I think it's actually a Disco one - the one Raingler do for Defenders is just a half-height one (meant for the NAS soft-tops), but the shape matches the outline of the roll-bar apart from at the bottom, where it doesn't matter too much.
Ads90

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Romadog - a proper answer to your question - I'm fairly sure the guard I tried before (it was fitted in another 50th I borrowed before buying) was the STC50479 - I don't think it had been modified to fit, but it did seem a bit tight - I can't remember for sure if it was in front of the roll bar or behind, but I suspect it was in front - the LR pictures show it in front of the bulkhead deletion bar in a normal 90.. (i.e towards the front of vehicle).
romadog2004

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go at trying to fit the guard again today but no such luck.There isnt enough room between the roll bar and rear seats?!! In the accessories catalogue it shows a pic of STC50479.This is fitted behind the deletion bar.I think the top section will foul the roll bar aswell due to the padding.The roll bar looks to be bigger in diameter to the deletion bar??
I'll give my friendly dealer a call tomorrow.
Thanks ads90 for your help. I'd prefer the rigid type of guard if i can get one to fit !
Allan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong about this but I think the 50th's have a safety devices cage which allows removal of the bulkhead. I think TD5's have a pure bulkhead deletion bar which is of a different shape and diameter.

I may however be wrong...

Good luck with it though and let us know how you get along...
Allan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads...

That is exactly what i've been looking for Very Happy

How much do they cost..?

MUD is about 5 miles from me here so i can feel a shopping trip coming on tomorrow...
Ads90

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allan,

As I've only just logged in - you may have set off already!
But if you havn't I think MUD were going to sell them for around 90 - I had mine with some other stuff for a bundle price...

If you want me to email you some pics of it in place - pm me your email address and I'll send you some!

I also bought a couple of the velcro-on roll-bar grab handles, to strap on to the side paddings - these give passengers something to hold onto, and they stop the padding sliding around if you strap them on tight. And they are in black nylon like the net, and the padding - so look like an original part - bonus! Laughing

Cheers,
Ads.
Allan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Nice one...

I have just got the Defender half net from MUD.

Had a natter with Stuart who runs the place, really nice guy.

I went for the half netting as it serves my purposes better, namely it will stop the hi-lift flying about and still allow me to reach the Leica when i'm off road.

Looks very smart too,

54 squid all in.

Cheers mate Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: