www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stalling when warm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brucech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Stalling when warm Reply with quote

My Japanese 50th has recently started stalling when warm. It starts from cold first time and runs well for,say, 4/5mls then stalls when I pull up a road junction or manouevre into a parking place and the like. Restarting again with plenty of revs allows me to pull away and on the road itís fine. Doesnít always happen but never sure when it will. Did 170mls yesterday & it stalled 3 times. Any advice?
NAS90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth having it checked properly by a workshop, but sounds like the idle control valve has gone faulty
Brucech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice -itís due its MOT is a few weeks time so Iíll get it attended to then.
MikeB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be caused by a number of things. Common ones are:

The plastic pipe between the air filter and plenum is leaking. This part is no longer available, but splits can be bound with electrical tape.

The idle control valve is gunked up. The tiny boltsthat hold this in will probably be festered in. Be very careful, they easily break! Maybe try some carb cleaner from the other side having removed the air feed plastic pipe.

The 'I'm moving' feed from the speedo to the ECU that holds up the idle until just before the vehicle stops has failed. (This is what caused mine to stall).

Try opening the air bypass valve a bit. This is located in the hole on top of the plenum and is a 3/16 allen key from memory. Set it when the engine is at running temperature with no electrical ancillaries switched on. Turn it slowly anti-clockwise until the engine revs begin to increase and then turn it back half a turn. This is what I did to mine and it's never stalled since.

Hope this helps.
Brucech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - a lot of info there & many thanks - Iíll let you know how it gets resolved.
Brucech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had it in for a service & MOT - theyíve cleaned the stepper motor & is seems to be running well - fingers crossed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: