www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Con Compressor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Air Con Compressor Reply with quote

My air con generally works well, but if I'm on a run and stop for 10 mins, when I start off again the clutch won't engage, unless I give it a tap on the front. I guess it's just heat soak causing it to stick. I've tried WD40 and that lasts for a short while, then it goes back to 'normal'. Has anyone tried undoing the 3 bolts on the front of the pulley and removing the centre piece to clean and lubricate it? I don't want to undo them to find a whole load of bits spring out that I can't get back in.
romanrob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this on my defender, but have on the RR - which had the same problem you describe. If the clutch plate magnetises (and it does else it would not engage when you whack it) then it is either dirty or not gapped correctly. Try removing the clutch (should be one centre bolt going into the boss of the compressor) but you will need to hold 2 of 3 holes in the clutch plate static. If you have dirt or oil in between the plates it is just enough to interfere with the electro-magnet ie give both plates a good clean. You may also have a shim or two on the centre boss, you could try removing one of those too, if a simple clean doesn't work.

GB065 - since 2002
RR10 - 50th Range Rover since 2018
Nanocom unlocked for GEMS
Toylander S2A

Formerly a 200TDi CSW, and a Marine blue SIII 2.25 Petrol
MikeB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rob, I'll give it a go.

Mike.
romanrob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any joy, Mike?

GB065 - since 2002
RR10 - 50th Range Rover since 2018
Nanocom unlocked for GEMS
Toylander S2A

Formerly a 200TDi CSW, and a Marine blue SIII 2.25 Petrol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: