www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roll Cage and Rear Step refurb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spgmcb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Roll Cage and Rear Step refurb. Reply with quote

Just removed the outside roll cage and rear step to have them sand blasted and repainted, I recall something about the roll cage being painted with a plastic coating. Advice so far is satin black powder coating, any advice from other on here who have gone down this road and what's best for the step?

I had originally planned to replace the outer roll cage with a very good condition black edition roll cage that I have but I noticed that the four spotlight mounts on the black edition appeared to be a different size. I have four old cibie lights fitted to the original roll cage but when I tried to fit them to the black edition, the spotlight bolts were too big to fit onto the later black edition roll cage which is listed as the same JLR part number as the 50th cage. Any ideas on here,

thanks.

GB 329
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I’m sure Greg said the 50th roll cage has a unique profile, can’t remember why so probably best to keep the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gilmore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my NAS step refurbished. The plastic coating needs burning off first. On instructions from the power-coating shop, I built a big bonfire in the garden, waited for it to get going and chucked the NAS step on. It burned all the coating off, leaving it ready for power-coating at a local guy who powder coats car wheels and various other items.
It came out perfect.
cheers
rob
Honda CRF250X Trail Bike
Husqvarna FE350 Enduro
Honda CB750K4 - 1974
Honda CB750K5 - 1975
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes)
romanrob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my rear step done. I definitely didn't light any bonfires first. Satin black should do it - I didn't have to choose the finish, the guy figured it out for himself, but it's neither gloss nor a full matt. Dorset, if you want a recommendation, although after 10 years the OCD in me will probably send it in again. Roll cage is fine from new tbh

GB065 - since 2002
Currently on my 2nd 50th RR V8 GEMS
Nanocom unlocked for GEMS

Formerly a 50th RR, 200TDi CSW, and a SIII 2.25 Petrol
spgmcb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'll get the originals powder coated and put back on, thanks again for the advice. All the best

GB 329
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: