www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flickering Mileage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highpasture

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Flickering Mileage Reply with quote

I suspect that I am not the only one with flickering mileage readings. Just had the 50th mot'd (sailed it thankfully) and annoyingly my 26000 miles has a 0 reading on the certificate as the miles were having an off day. As the mechnical numbty I am - is there a quick easy and permanent fix for this - Any help gratefully appreciated from the incredible bank of knowledge out there. My speedo sometimes sticks at 30mph then frees itself - Is this connected ??

Nigel (Highpasture)
101FC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the problems tend to be caused by damp has been covered on here before (mine is fine 8 moths of the year) I think that the only real fix is a new gauge. I keep meaning to try putting a bag of silica desiccant in with it to see if it helps Idea
50th Anniversary #264
WAS 483 (SUMB)
SIMON DURANT GB 067

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem it is a simple fix.
You send your speedo to

Cluster Repairs UK
tel 01493 3000716
or
tel 0208 9864100

They change the liquid crystal screen and the circuits that are failing and send you back the repaired speedo with the correct milage .
Finding a replacement speedo is expensive and also hard for the 50th.
These guys fix your old one for £90.
You post your speedo to them recorded and they post it back .

Last edited by SIMON DURANT GB 067 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Widget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds daft, but during last winter mine started doing this. The speedo head, multi-plug connections etc were cleaned up with little effect. When it occurred I used to put my sidelights on to provide a bit of warmth behind the dash to dry everything out.
Building NAS style V8
elcynico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - it's that time of year when the damp and cold will effect it..mine does it every time - the "official" reason for this occurring is failure (cracking ?) of the ribbon circuit - but I'm certain it's just the damp/cold/wet !

Like Simon says you can get it repaired if it fails completely !
elcynico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - it's that time of year when the damp and cold will effect it..mine does it every time - the "official" reason for this occurring is failure (cracking ?) of the ribbon circuit - but I'm certain it's just the damp/cold/wet !

Like Simon says you can get it repaired if it fails completely !
Vault0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damp. Yes, agree with that, and that.
rosak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for digging up and old thread but thought it might be helpful for many Defender owners.
Until recently the only solution for a flickering or missing odometer was to replace the ribbon connection between PCB and LCD display. That worked but not for long (usually 1-3 years depending on weather conditions). A few months ago one of the LCDs manufacturer has released a new LCD display assembly, much improved. It doesn't have the same carbon cable as the original one but proper copper one which is not prone to weather conditions.
I offer the replacement service if anyone's interested:
https://totaltronics.com/instrument-cluster-repairs/land-rover/land-rover-defender-50th-anniversary-odometer-repair/
Haf64

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Flickering Mileage Reply with quote

This is good to hear as my odometer having been away and repaired just before I bought my 50th then started to misbehave in less than 12 months then presumably dried out and just over a year is still functioning but for how long!
Spooner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I mentioned this before, but I had this issue about 18 months after Cluster Repairs looked at and fixed mine - all I did was turn the ribbon cable around so the bend in it was the other way around. It's been fine since - over a year from memory.

GB168 - electric, yes, electric sunroof Smile
njjbailey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it easy to remove the speedo? Do you have to take the whole binnacle off? i.e. how do you best get to the cable? cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: