www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese 50th vs UK 50th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d93qyh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Japanese 50th vs UK 50th Reply with quote

Hello,
I am on the lookout for a decent 50th and the Japanese ones seem to be in much better condition to the UK ones I have seen.
Just wondered if anyone can tell me what the differences are between them?
I have seen most are white, they all have black wheel arches, a KM speedo and no mudflaps or sidesteps. Is there anything else?
NAS90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanese 50th vs UK 50th Reply with quote

d93qyh wrote:
Hello,
I am on the lookout for a decent 50th and the Japanese ones seem to be in much better condition to the UK ones I have seen.
I have seen most are white, they all have black wheel arches, a KM speedo and no mudflaps or sidesteps. Is there anything else?

Japan 50ths come in White, Red & Atlantis blue, as you say they left the factory with black wheel arch extensions, but many have been color coded. They had silver Boost wheels and don't have the chromed window winders or chromed side steps, but most do have the black twin tube side step and a black A bar on the front. They will all have had KMS speedos from new, although when these go faulty (as they all do) some owners will replace them with MPH ones and adjust to correct mileage (which is what i've done). They will also have left the factory with a LR stereo that operated on the Japan frequency range which is not compatible, but most will have been replaced to UK compatible ones.

I sold my GB 50th which, whilst it was low miles, needed a rear crossmember and body restoration and then bought an ex Japan one. For me the Japan 50ths represent far better value, you get a Defender that has lived in much better climate and is usually in much better original condition than an equivalent GB car and usually pay a decent amount less for it than a similar mileage GB car.

A quick look on eBay & Auto Trader shows four 50th for sale at the moment two soft tops 50th and two Atlantis Blue Hard tops, all in the £24-30k price range, which seems to be where the market is at the moment, so one of these may suit you.
Brooklands

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Japanese 50th vs UK 50th Reply with quote

d93qyh wrote:
Hello,

We've got two Atlantis Blue Defender 50th in stock. One of them is a recent arrival from Japan and the other one has been in the UK for a few years now both are competitively prices and in great condition and worth coming to look at. As well we have a white LHD V8 from Japan in stock with a 4.6 engine that sounds amazing and a white 50th awaiting DVLA registration but will be ready to go soon if you prefer white.

Photos on our web site brooklandsprestige.com

(Hope James doesn't mind us putting our web site on a post here....)
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs. I kind of wish I bought the Jap NAS as it was really good value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
d93qyh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I also see having looked at more photos of them the Japanese ones all have the rear step without the ability to attach a tow bar? Presumably this is just a case of buying a new rear step with the UK attachments.
Is there a reason they don't have the rear mudflaps on the Japanese ones? Just wondered if it is a different rear bumper so they can't be attached or whether the exhaust arrangement is slightly different so isnt the space.

Brooklands thank you for the info. I will give you a call and am only about an hour away from you so will arrange to see the ones you have.
NAS90

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d93qyh wrote:
Thanks for the info.
I also see having looked at more photos of them the Japanese ones all have the rear step without the ability to attach a tow bar? Presumably this is just a case of buying a new rear step with the UK attachments.
Is there a reason they don't have the rear mudflaps on the Japanese ones? Just wondered if it is a different rear bumper so they can't be attached or whether the exhaust arrangement is slightly different so isnt the space.

Mud flaps will fit if you want them, mine came with them but I actually prefer the look without so took them off.

The tow steps are NAS ones using the American 2 inch receiver style. You just buy a detachable tow hitch that slots into the 2" square receiver, I bought one of these, but there are lots of different types available

https://www.firstfour.co.uk/shop/towing-jacking-recovery/receiver-hitches
F4B LR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Japanese 50Th v UK 50Th Reply with quote

Hi

Firstly my apologies for not logging in for such a long time. I hope everyone is well?

The prices are sky rocketing up both UK and Imported ones!!

Here you will find a Japanese import, just shy of £60K. Lots of photos for reference.

https://www.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/approved-vehicles/search/?make%5B%5D=Land+Rover&model%5BLand+Rover%5D%5B%5D=Defender+50th+Edition&distance%5B%5D=0&budget-program%5B%5D=pcp&section%5B%5D=41204&pageId=296465

Currently there are 2 on EBay, a UK Overfinch GB015, £50K and 4.0L for £38K.
Brooklands

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Japanese 50Th v UK 50Th Reply with quote

F4B LR wrote:
Hi

Firstly my apologies for not logging in for such a long time. I hope everyone is well?

The prices are sky rocketing up both UK and Imported ones!!

Here you will find a Japanese import, just shy of £60K. Lots of photos for reference.

https://www.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/approved-vehicles/search/?make%5B%5D=Land+Rover&model%5BLand+Rover%5D%5B%5D=Defender+50th+Edition&distance%5B%5D=0&budget-program%5B%5D=pcp&section%5B%5D=41204&pageId=296465

Currently there are 2 on EBay, a UK Overfinch GB015, £50K and 4.0L for £38K.

We have had quite a few 50ths coming through our showroom now, we sold 8 last year, two GB and six 50th badged cars. You are quite right prices are definitely moving up with increased demand and reduced availability with lower numbers of 50th being offered for sale. Both GB and 50th versions are going up in price but they still represent reasonable value when you compare them to the NAS versions which are 98% the same vehicle all be it LHD but are now selling in the $60-120K price range.

Whilst some owners/ dealers are trying their luck to stretch the top end pricing levels of the market for 50ths, there are still some good cars coming through at sensible money both from dealers and private sales.

We recently purchased a lovely, clean ex Japan 50th in white with 70000 miles (113000kms) that is just being prepared for the showroom this week and should be ready to go by the end of the week. This will be selling for £26950 which we think is very fair value for a good example.

We have another 50th undergoing restoration including a chassis replacement and are currently negotiating on two more 50ths so will hopefully continue to be able to offer more 50ths in the near future at competitive prices that buyers who want to use these great Defenders can afford.
F4B LR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanese 50Th v UK 50Th v most expensive on eBay.com USA Reply with quote

Nice Brooklands

https://www.brooklandsprestige.com/cars/landrover/defender/50thanniversary/228812/

Why are the NAS ones more? Is this due to Land Rover importing to the USA for only a couple of years, due to the airbag law?

I understand that after 25 years Land Rover can be imported to the USA, if not highly modified? If that is the case all 50TH’s in 2023 are exportable to the USA. The demand will be high as Land rovers are highly sought after there. Looking through eBay.com there are various age Land rovers for sale, how was they imported? Any one know?

Reading your comment regarding the NAS model $60-120K at current prices, would put a 50th value at around $150,000 (Maybe, closer to the one below).

Here is the most expensive Land Rover on EBay.com USA $240,000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Land-Rover-Defender-110/263787353282?hash=item3d6af394c2:g:bOoAAOSwheNbNsBT&vxp=mtr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: