www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance increase?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Performance increase? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Does anyone have any tips on increasing the oomph of the 50th - without spending ££££s, or making the thirst any worse?
After previously owning a 3.5EFi RR a few years back, I was expecting the combination of the larger (more modern) engine, and the reduced weight to make it feel slightly quicker than it does... is this mainly down to the brick-like aero-dynamics, or is it different gearing, emission/economy tuning, or a combination of these things?
Someone did suggest that the transfer gearing can be changed - is this right?
How about changes to the aspiration - filters/exhaust?
Would any of these changes need to be declared on the insurance?
Any pointers would be appreciated!
Regards,
Adam.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

The main problem is the gearing with the 50th. Changing the transfer box ratios will help alot and is probally your best thing to start on. I think the change is 1:22 to 1:410.
Overfinch and Ashcroft Transmissions do the gear change work. Ashcroft are the experts though and are probally half the price of overfinch.
Ashcroft website: www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk

The next thing you can do is get it chipped by Mark Adams the GEMS ecu guru, but then your getting into ££££.

My one has had a Bourg Warner box put in (used because its the right ratio and origonal box is unmodifyed so can be put back to origonal spec) and the chips done and it is a very pleasing drive. Its 0-60 is 9.5 which is 2 or 3 seconds faster than standard and a much smoother drive.

best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James,

That sounds like the first thing I should look at...

Does this make it lower geared?
And if so, does this not mean more engine noise at motorway speeds & less mpg? Or is it by a negligable amout?
And do you think the engine would need re-tuning to make the most of the different gearing?

Also is the borg-warner box the chain driven one?
And if so, is it less prone to the transission 'clunking' from forward to reverse gears? My 50th is not too bad, but my old RR which was a high miler used to frighten passers by when parking!

Thanks,
Adam.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

I'm not to sure if lower or higher the gearing.
I know with my box it makes it about 500 rpm faster at motorway speed and slightly more thirsty. But i dont know about if you change the origonal box ratio, ashcroft will know.
The gearing should be ok without a re-tune but not entirly sure.

Yes the Bourg warner is chain drive so is a better smoother box. Mine was done a Burys Bridge garage about 5 years ago and cost £1200 parts and labour PLUS the price ofthe new box as they did not suply it. So not a cheep way of doing it, will be alot more now i'm sure. I would get yours re-geared.

best regards

James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mikepratt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: GEARING Reply with quote

I HAD MY RE -GEARED BY BROOKLYN 4 X 4 IN SOUTHAMPTON.

THE BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE THE DIFFERENCE OVER NORMAL IS THAT IT IS LIKE DRIVING AN AUTO CAR WITH THE 'SPORT' BUTTON' IN.

IT IS FAR LESS FRUSTRATING TO DRIVE, DOES THE SAME MPG AND AT 76MPH IS AT 3000 RPM, RIGHT ON THE TOP OF THE TORQUE CURVE SO YOU HARDLY HAVE TO TOUCH THE ACCELERATOR.

WELL WORTH IT.

MIKE. GB197.
PS GET THE CENTRE BOX REPLACED WITH A STRIGHT THRU PIPE FROM DOUBLE S EXHAUSTS......SOUNDS GREAT FOR ONLY £80
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Mike - especially if you havn't noticed any degradation in mpg's... Think I will get it done!
Adam.
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gas it and decat it even better but costs a little.
no.093 Mr Bond!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: