www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 D90 V8 AT 50th Anniversary Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrcrazy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: 98 D90 V8 AT 50th Anniversary Edition Reply with quote

1998 D90 V8 AT 50th Anniversary Edition

Hey guys...need your expert opinion. I'm currently in Asia and chanced upon a left hand drive 1998 D90 with the 4.0V8 and Auto Transmission. It's got the 50th Anniversary Edition Badge on the transmission tunnel and on the plate in the rear. It's got NAS specs but is a Japan Domestic Model.

Internet says Anniversary Edition was made for the UK, Japan and European Markets. No mention of LHD but I assume all UK bound units are RHD.

Here's the kicker, I ran the VIN through Calvin the LR Vin Calculator and it gives me conflicting info.

VIN Calculator says RHD with a Manual Tranny and makes no mention of it being an Anniversary Edition.

Can I get your expert opinion?

It's a beautiful, well-cared for D90!
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I thought the japan spec 50ths were RHD. I think it's very common with the Japan spec vehicle for the VIN to be incorrect saying it's manual transmission.
What number is stamped on the plate? Do you have any pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rrcrazy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input on the Tranny... that definitely helps!

The Anniversary Plate says 50th 017.

I'm wondering if this was an original Left Hand Drive or if this was converted which is a common occurrence in this part of Asia.

It's Atlantis blue with black fender flares, no checker plate and a larger than normal A-frame. Previous owner put a Land Rover Decal from a Puma on the bonnet and switched out the wheels to TWRs.

I also know that Japan Spec D90s came in LHD, has anyone encountered anything like this when looking up the VIN? Is it possible that this was converted to LHD in Japan as it shipped out as an RHD?
NAS90

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chassis number should answer your question, for certainty you can apply to the British Motor Museum for a heritage certificate, they aren't expensive to purchase and will tell you the build specification for certain.

As a quick reference; if it is factory LHD (NAS specification 90) which were sold in Japan, the chassis number will start

SALDV3244VA

If it is a 50th Anniversary, again sold in Japan but as far as I am aware only RHD it should start,

SALDVBM7WA

It is easy enough to convert RHD to LHD with a new bulkhead, dashboard, steering box and a few other parts; as long as it's done properly there is nothing to worry about from such a conversion. A LHD 50th is as valuable as a RHD and as they reach 25 years old LHD will actually be more valuable as the US market opens up for them.

Last edited by NAS90 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
rrcrazy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too familiar with the VINs on the Anniversary Edition but this particular unit's VIN is

SALLDVBN7WA.....

Does that sound about right?

NAS90 wrote:
The chassis number should answer your question, for certainty you can apply to the British Motor Museum for a heritage certificate, they aren't expensive to purchase and will tell you the build specification for certain.

As a quick reference; if it is factory LHD (NAS specification 90) which were sold in Japan, the chassis number will start

SALDV3244VA

If it is a 50th Anniversary, again sold in Japan but as far as I am aware only RHD it should start,

SLADVBM7WA

It is easy enough to convert RHD to LHD with a new bulkhead, dashboard, steering box and a few other parts; as long as it's done properly there is nothing to worry about from such a conversion. A LHD 50th is as valuable as a RHD and as they reach 25 years old LHD will actually be more valuable as the US market opens up for them.
V8GPC

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/Decoding-your-Land-Rover-VIN-Number.aspx
Hairy Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a RHD Japanese spec 50th Anniversary model and my chassis number is SALLDVBM7WA

S =Europe
A =United Kindom
L =Land Rover
LD =Defender 90
V =90" (L/R)
B =Defender 3door Station Wagon
M =3.9 & 4.0L, V8 Efi, petrol
7 =LT77 5 Speed Manual / Right Hand Drive
W = 1997-98
A = Solihull, United Kingdom

So mine has the anomaly in the chassis number ref the gearbox
rrcrazy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that sorts out the transmission anomaly. Now, to figure out if the conversion from RHD to LHD was done properly.

Any opinions on how this will affect its value and collectibility? Selling price isn't exactly cheap. $50k USD but all original paint without any fading plus only 60t Kms on the clock. But it's pushing 20 years old!

Thanks for your inputs!
TelsV8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a Jap import to NZ and it also has the anomaly 5 speed manual, so its normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: