www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Views on stainless exhaust - should it rust like this
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Type of steel
Probably stainless but poor quality and not normal
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Probably stainless and yes they look like this after 12 months
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Not stainless - probably mild steel
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

markgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Views on stainless exhaust - should it rust like this Reply with quote

Hi,

Currently in discussion with well know parts supplier about a stainless exhaust I bought from them 12 months ago.

Exhaust has only been fitted for 11 months and already looks as rusty as the old mild steel exhaust it replaced.

I will be kind and not mention the supplier or the part until I know what the score is.

Over the years I have fitted stainless exhausts to many cars and bikes and they have always lasted as long as I have owned the car. I still have a 10 year old mini exhaust and it is still shiny.

I will add photos later but I am keen to hear from other forum members

I reckon this is mostly a mild steel system with just a stainless box in the middle which is NOT a stainless exhaust system.

The supplier is maintaining that this IS a complete stainless system and rust is normal.

What do you think?

(and yes I know the rest of the underside could be better)

defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is terrible! I would be most disappointed as well. That's either the worst quality stainless or mid steel!
I hope they give you a refund so you can go somewhere else!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
markgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Yeah kind of what I thought too Reply with quote

So far im still being fobbed off - funny autocorrect thinks I want to use the word "robbed" Smile

Just to be clear - the cats and downpipes are original but from just after the y piece is what I replaced.

Will try the manufacturer next and then onto the recorded delivery letters if I must.

Someone told me to check with a magnet.

Using a really strong magnet. It will just stick to side steps (funny, they are still shiny). It also just sticks to the rear box AND the hangers. These I reckon are all stainless.

The pipes however stick really hard - just as hard as the old mild steel system....

Think I have an answer.
markgw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Update - rimmerbros stainless exhaust details Reply with quote

Okay so the supplier is now ignoring my straightforward requests so I've spoken to some other suppliers and even an engineer or two.

The exhaust I bought was from RimmerBros LR1126SSUTILITY

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LR1126SSUTILITY

What I didn't know is that some cheap suppliers and manufacturers make rubbish out of 409 stainless which will rust just the same as mild steel.

The premium systems are made from 304 which is the stuff that stays shiny.

So despite costing £300 you don't get a better looking system than the mild steel versions which could be had for less than £100.

To be fair, you do get their lifetime guarantee, but after experiencing Rimmerbros "customer service" first hand...

Probably not worth the paper...
V8GPC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was concidering the very same purchase; i think i'll avoid.

Come to think of it the previous owner of my LR said it had a stainless exhasut from the CATs back - i didn't believe it as it looks just like yours... perhaps it already is a Rimmer Brother special.
markgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8GPC wrote:
I was concidering the very same purchase; i think i'll avoid.

Come to think of it the previous owner of my LR said it had a stainless exhasut from the CATs back - i didn't believe it as it looks just like yours... perhaps it already is a Rimmer Brother special.

From the sounds of it, it probably is stainless, just not what we (and many others) would consider to be "stainless".
markgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: reply from RimmerBros and discussion with Double S Reply with quote

So yesterday I have called Double S, who have pointed out to me that all metals will tarnish or corrode, and the use of the 409 stainless steel is "normal" in the industry.
I was also asked why I had a problem as "let's face it, it is a defender and not a high value sports car" - I guess that makes it OK for the exhaust to rust so badly after 1 year then!

RimmerBros have sent me a long email, reassuring me that I do have a stainless steel exhaust, it is guaranteed for life, and this is again, perfectly normal.

Good article here for any that want to read more on the subject:
https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/maperformance-blog/77005123-409-and-304-stainless-steel-bet-you-didnt-know-these-details

Quote: your global location is an important factor. 409 Stainless exhaust systems will suffice for areas where road salt isn't an issue. ... 304 Stainless is great for rust prevention in northern/wintry area's

Apparently, many original exhaust systems are made from the cheaper 409 as it does last longer than mild steel.
This explains one point - why the original systems often last longer than replacement mild steel exhausts.

But the bottom line - if you are expecting a shiny stainless exhaust that maintains it's appearance, don't buy one from Double S or RimmerBros - you will be disappointed.
Buy one from a quality manufacturer that is using the better 304 grade.

For myself, it's an expensive lesson learned - I'm still thinking about whether it is worth pursuing through small claims: All I have to do is show a magistrate that it is reasonable to expect an aftermarket stainless exhaust to not rust. By not mentioning this important point on their website, both RimmerBros and Double S are in my opinion deceiving people.
Defendersarethebest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of that because I have had exactly the same issue that you have had (mine is also from Rimmerbros) which has been on for about 2 years and is in the smae condition - and I was rather scratching my head ......
markgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defendersarethebest wrote:
Thank you for all of that because I have had exactly the same issue that you have had (mine is also from Rimmerbros) which has been on for about 2 years and is in the smae condition - and I was rather scratching my head ......

My personal view is that there will be a few other disappointed owners.

But RimmerBros and Double S maintain that no-one has ever raised this problem before....

I know I bought the damn thing but that doesn't mean I've been slapped with a silly stick!
gilmore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I went for a Griffin Performance exhaust now...
Shocked
regs
rob
Honda CRF250X Trail Bike
Husqvarna FE350 Enduro
Honda CB750K4 - 1974
Honda CB750K5 - 1975
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes)
oilit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating - I have a 'double s' on mine - and its been on for about 4 years now (I did buy it direct from them though), and I will jump underneath and take a picture if its better than the picture you have shown. I certainly will not be happy if I see the same !
markgw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Neither RimmerBros or Double S think it is deceptive Reply with quote

Final replies had from Rimmer Bros

Their description is correct and the exhaust is stainless. They do not feel that the omission of the grade of stainless used (ie cheap stuff that rusts) is in any way misleading.

My personal feeling is that most customers have in their mind a certain quality when a stainless exhaust is advertised.

Going to explore small claims court as both companies refuse to even acknowledge that their description could be more truthful.
oilit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Neither RimmerBros or Double S think it is deceptive Reply with quote

markgw wrote:
Final replies had from Rimmer Bros

Their description is correct and the exhaust is stainless. They do not feel that the omission of the grade of stainless used (ie cheap stuff that rusts) is in any way misleading.

My personal feeling is that most customers have in their mind a certain quality when a stainless exhaust is advertised.

Going to explore small claims court as both companies refuse to even acknowledge that their description could be more truthful.

Hmm - well mine is the same - with the exception of the tailpipe coming out of the back box - which is what I would have expected - nice and shiny stainless - hence why I thought mine was different - BUT, when I crawl underneath I have the same issue.

It's a real shame - other Double S products I have bought didn't do this 20 odd years ago.

I guess the message is clear - AVOID Double S at all costs - which is a real shame as I wanted to support a Devon based company !

I would seek advice with the legal point - effectively they guarantee their products for life, so whilst cosmetically appalling - it is performing in it's job as an exhaust, so I suspect they may argue that if it were to fail - they would replace it.
Crocs

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15 years ago I bought a Double S for a 1949 Jag and it did not do this over the years.

On seeing this post, I asked Double S what grade of stainless they use now.

No reply, so draw your own conclusions.

Robert
romanrob

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a Rimmer/SS exhaust a couple of months ago - it already looks like the pic, and cosmetically no better than the original. Disappointing, but it is a LR, and it's not like the rest of the under-side is shiny. As long as it lasts for life then I guess I'm happy

GB065 - since 2002
Currently on my 2nd 50th RR V8 GEMS
Nanocom unlocked for GEMS

Formerly a 50th RR, 200TDi CSW, and a SIII 2.25 Petrol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: