www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical Price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert McFly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Hypothetical Price Reply with quote

Looking for opinions please folks

How much would a proper fully refurbished 50th be worth?

By fully refurbised I'm not meaning respray and a few new bits and bobs, I'm talking full ground up rebuild with galvanised chassis, new brake lines, brakes , fuel lines, poly bush, new windows, doors, bare metal spray and new panels if needed.,engine refurb essentially everything?
V8GPC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ones that haven't had the galvanised chassis and full engine refurb are for sale from £30-45k

That would be the holly grail, but would you get your money back after the expense? probably not, if it were for your forever LR, then why not.

Starting Vehicle 15-20k
Engine Refurb £7500
Chassis and swap etc. £5k
Paint and associated sundries £5k

Already up there without doors, interior, bulkhead etc etc.

So easily up towards the £50k mark without any real return; and then only based on what people will pay.

BUT if you look at the price of Defenders in the US, standard models are up there; and the 50th can be exported when 20 years old - so prices may increase.

it all depends on whether its to make a quick £ or to keep and enjoy as a classic LR Smile
NAS90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8GPC wrote:

BUT if you look at the price of Defenders in the US, standard models are up there; and the 50th can be exported when 20 years old - so prices may increase.

US Defender prices are mad, but I am pretty sure it has to be 25 years old and LHD to get in so you'd be looking at a LHD conversion which isn't to hard, but requires a few parts and lots of labour and most cars have another 7 years before they'll be targeted but the US market
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months ago (with one eye on keeping mine!) I emailed Customs Border protection in the US with the following question:
"Do I understand your import rules correctly:
The restriction on cars over 25 years old - is it rolling? In other words, you will only allow cars from 1991 this year, but next year it would be 1992? Is that correct?
"[b]

I got the following reply:
"That is correct, and the link below explains the basic rules. For more information the best thing to do is contact the CBP port where the car will enter the US. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278"

The odd thing is that I saw a YouTube video recently with a 1997 Defender in the US - completely legally. So I don't quite get it.

As for the original question, it is my opinion that any 50th that is completely restored, with a new chassis, might fetch £50,000+ maybe even £60,000. It's something I myself am still mulling over. To the best of my knowledge, no one has restored a 50th with a new chassis, but I'm sure someone here will know if that has been done. A COMPLETELY restored 50th is going to be very special indeed, though I'm tempted to say that if you were going to do that, then the chassis should be painted black. If you're going down the route of building something that special, then it should be utterly genuine, from the seats to the steering wheel. It would be unique, I think, and might therefore command a high price indeed.

As I have said on here before, if 50ths are one day allowed to be exported to the US, then they will go for six figures (£100,000). Mark my words. There are a LOT of people there who love the Defender, and if they could have a special and limited edition Defender, then there are enough rich people there to create the demand that would push the prices to six figures.

NB.
It is my understanding that Himalaya 4x4 (they built fantastic Defenders for the US market - just Google Himalaya Defender on Google images) have recently gone out of business. This company took Defenders and rebuilt them to a very high standard. They sold them for stupidly-high prices. Now they have gone, there will be an even higher demand for rebuilt Defenders.
Defender-less - but big plans!
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
Something is wrong with this website. Get phpBB to check it. Images are not going in the correct location, and italics and bold won't marry together. Can you see the [b] in my above post, at the end of the first italics? That shouldn't show in the post, and it didn't bold it anyway. There's a glitch somewhere in their software. I couldn't load photos in the correct place. Maybe time to rebuild this forum with another web-builder, like Wordpress? They aren't very good, but then none of them are!
What puddle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try again. This is what you want a completely restored 50th to look like underneath. Again, it's Himalaya:

You are, after all, going to create a museum piece.
Albert McFly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8GPC wrote:
ones that haven't had the galvanised chassis and full engine refurb are for sale from £30-45k

That would be the holly grail, but would you get your money back after the expense? probably not, if it were for your forever LR, then why not.

Starting Vehicle 15-20k
Engine Refurb £7500
Chassis and swap etc. £5k
Paint and associated sundries £5k

Already up there without doors, interior, bulkhead etc etc.

So easily up towards the £50k mark without any real return; and then only based on what people will pay.

it all depends on whether its to make a quick £ or to keep and enjoy as a classic LR Smile

Luckily I already have the car at much less than £15k, I have the rest quoted at much lower prices than above also so the project is extremely viable for me. I'm embarking on this project not to sell but to create the forever 50th. Should be fun Very Happy

The end result will be a very special vehicle.
Adbseries3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did mine with Simon, included brakes, springs, body refurb, but not much needing to be done to chassis and nothing to engine, cost around £45k, but looks great. Always a question of where you stop (as now thinking the engine bay could look better). Was well over what I planned. Doubt you make money on a refurb but great if you plan to keep for 20 years. Also depends on standard you do it to.
V8GPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my point of view its enjoying it and keeping it on the road in a good condition that's the appeal.

I've had plenty of LR over my time from Series 2A to V8 90's now i'm at the 50th that's the one to keep.

I don't think I could afford to spend 50k to buy, but over the years will spend £££ keeping it in running condition.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question.
At the moment I would be surprised to see a 50th sell for more than 50k no matter what it's had done. A fully rebuilt 50th would be quite something but probably cost a fortune if you did it right using genuine parts only.

I am starting to think GB002 with 30k miles and being in perfect original condition could be heading for the 50k mark. Even the cross manner paint is still shiney Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Romadog2004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy
Adam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gb 002 don't really get used though james, that's why it's clean lol. Unsure about prices really, all depends how desperate and how much people want to pay
1983 series 3 109 2.25 diesel
Series 3 88 project (sold)
Range Rover p38 4.0 v8 Bordeaux (partners)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: