www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GB287 new owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: GB287 new owner Reply with quote

Good morning,

I am the proud owner of a 50th. I now need to sell my E250 coupe as I have run out of space at my house. My girlfriend thinks I'm mad going from the Merc to this beauty, but it puts a smile on my face. Woke up yesterday morning and first thing I did was to walk out the front door (in dressing gown) and admire. Just done it again. It's a bit tatty in places, but I love it. I will update the register thread with my details.

My initial thoughts:
1) Drivers position is cramped and I have yet to find a comfortable position for my right elbow.
2) I was expecting the v8 to sound like American muscle. I could see the disappointment in my sons eyes about the sound. May need to consider some options to get the v8 rumble.
3) it's not quick. But having driven another Defender, cruising at 70-80mph is now possible.
4) The previous owner told me to expect a range of 200 miles on a single tank. I have reached 150 miles and only used half, so that's a bonus.
5) I don't have an A bar fitted and I would like one. Were they standard? I would be grateful if someone could advise where to purchase one.
6) There are 4x blanking grommets in a trapezoidal layout on the bonnet, any ideas what they are for?

I look forward getting involved with some discussions.
911 997 GTS
Ducati Monster 1100S
50Def

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your other cars its easy to see why you say the 50th is not quick! Mine is also not as quick as I expected and has about the same performance as by Discovery 1 V8. But, as you say, compared to by 300tdi 130 it does get a move on.
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@50Def. I am now driving 'under' the speed limit and enjoying every second.

I have now found a comfortable position for my right elbow, by winding down the window.

Update on economy. I do get 150 miles on first half of fuel gauge, then 50 miles on second half, so I guess 200 miles is about the range. So at 60 to fill the tank, this buys me approx 50 litres, which equates to 11 gallons, which translates to just over 18 mpg. I have yet to check the manual but this looks about right.

I do need to make some changes to enhance my driving experience:

1) I seem to have a key for each lock, and no key that operates the filler cap lock. Can you replace all barrels with a single key?

2) I need central locking, at least on doors, and connect to alarm. Can anyone recommend a compatible product? I did search the threads but the recommended product does not seem to be available any longer.

3) Need to get alarm/ immobiliser working, and maybe add a tracker.
911 997 GTS
Ducati Monster 1100S
Crocs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

Good to see you found a 50th that suited you. Welcome to the forum.

On A Bars, 50ths didn't come with an A Bar and I have a copy of a Land Rover advert from the time which backs that up.

However, many (most?) buyers fitted one along with extra lights and the Accessories brochure from 1998 shows two A Bars. A stainless steel one (STC8477) at 263 back then and a black one (STC8476) at 112.

There should be some aftermarket ones available via Google.

Not sure what the grommets are but probably had something attached in the past (like a roof rack projection?). I assume it doesn't have a circular indent at that point which would indicate a spare wheel carrier had been there?

Robert
Romadog2004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

The best for future proof is to use as much plug n play as possible when adding items.
The 50th arrived between the 300tdi and Td5 models and therefore has similarities to both.
If you find a Td5 bulkhead loom with wiring for electric windows etc, you can un pick the relevant wiring from it. Sounds daunting, but actually it is very simple. The same can be done with central locking.
You will also need the actuators, brackets and door looms (best to find s/h from damaged doors.
The rear door may have to stay as key locked unless you upgrade
.to TD5 door where central locking was fitted.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/attachments/central-locking-jpg.17842/

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72528&d=1368879266
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Crocs Thanks for reply. Regarding the blanking grommets, I think your idea of an extended roof rack could be the culprit. My friend has a Landy where the previous owner had fitted a gun carrier on the side and a bracket on the bonnet for a gun tripod. That's just brilliant. I cannot imagine another car you would modify in this way - and it still look normal.

@Romadog2004 Thanks for your reply and wiring diagrams. I will start a search for some 2nd hand door components.
911 997 GTS
Ducati Monster 1100S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: