www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galvanised Chassis or Not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V8GPC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Galvanised Chassis or Not? Reply with quote

Has anyone had a Galvanised Chassis? What are your thoughts?

Mine is at the point where it could do with some cleaning painting and waxoyling; but the time; and cost if done by a professional - may not be worth it? (espeically if when cleanning i find the tin owrm has been at it)

Richard Chassis sell a 50th Chassis for 1350; and next door can fit it for 1500; with a few extra bits thrown in (poly bush etc.) for about 3,000 or so its sorted for life?

although mine could carry on for the next couple of years; and there are worse out there - its piece of mind? (especially as its a hobby car and kept in the dry now.)

Gary
Albert McFly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the money and keeping the car I would say yes everyday its a no brainer.

The one thing I cant get over is the quoted 'fully restored' 50ths that haven't had a new or galvanised chassis put on them, surely its only 'fully restored' with this done!
What puddle?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, a galvanised chassis isn't the end of it. The galvanisation is a process which degrades - a coating that degrades rather than the steel underneath degrading. After a while it looks awful. So you want it painted immediately after it has been galvanised. This means first washing the dirt off, then using 'T-Wash'. This turns that lovely shiny surface dark grey. You have to apply that all over - don't miss anywhere. Then you wash that off, then you etch-primer it. Finally you spray it any colour you like. All these processes should be done in warm, or even hot weather. Alternatively, Richards will send it to a sprayer for you. It will cost 480. The chassis itself isn't 1,350 I'm afraid, as that's without vat and delivery (if you need delivery). The total cost of all that I have said is 2,300. The only reason I know all this is because...

In my opinion, there are refurbishments, restores and full restores. A full restore would be to take it to a virtual new car, so would include new chassis and perhaps new bulkhead. Of course, the engine remains. I have been toying with the idea of a restore ever since I bought mine, but lately have been looking seriously at a FULL restore, or even building my own 90.
Defender-less - but big plans!
Adbseries3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your own chassis is in good shape no sense in changing, just spend the money on properly protecting it. Will buy a lot of years of professional protection and keep it original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: