www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TD5 Instrument Light Panel / Clock Surround

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: TD5 Instrument Light Panel / Clock Surround Reply with quote

I had a search in the forum, but could not find anything specifically relating to updating the clock surround for the newer TD5 LED style panel (not looking to change the dash to an '02, just the clocks/panel).

I understand it is possible, but wondered if the 50th loom is classed as "ROW" in which case it should plug and play with the TD5 instrument panel? (I'm sure I read that somewhere....)

Anyway, thought I would see if anyone has done it, and maybe how easy it might be to do. Some of the symbols have faded on my panel, and thinking of refreshing with the newer panel style.

Thanks for any pointers!
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
Romadog2004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron

You can update the warning lamps, but will need a Td5 surround and warning panel. Then a couple of plugs (off ebay) to connect to the panel. You can get these as new or chop from a Td5 loom. then its a case of connecting like for like after chopping the old plugs off.
I've done it on mine. Here is a link to a 200/300tdi to Td5 conversion. Just disregard the temp mod and fiiting of speedo.

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/200...tdi300tdi/
Aaron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Romadog! That's the site I stumbled across before I think, but couldn't find it again. Perfect. Thanks for posting.

I have ordered the TD5 surround already, and I have the panel on the way too. Just need to get those connectors, so will get on the case. Should make for another interesting job I've set myself up for! Laughing
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
Romadog2004

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEFENDER-TD5-Instrument-Warning-Lights-Connectors-Terminals-Clocks-Gauges-/151462720313?hash=item2343e1b339
Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for that. It really is like the TVR world when it comes to resolving issues 😃

I can't see myself ever selling mine. They are just so much fun to drive.
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant post chaps, been contemplating this mod for a while and suddenly all the info is there for me.
One quick question though, it seems to me that it may be a straight swap for the dials meaning I can keep and mount the original 50th dials in the new TD5 surround and then just do the wiring mods for theTD5 warning panel.
That easy or not ??
Cheers
Bill
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I am yet to start the update - I might have a go this weekend if I can find the time - but it should be straightforward changing the clocks over (literally unscrew the white sleeve and move to the new TD5 surround), and also the heater control back light (looks to clip into the TD5 version).

Then you are just left with the TD5 warning panel to connect up. I have ordered them from Paul (LandRover-Connectors on the bay...link in above post). You need the 16 and 20 pin connectors.

Until I get behind the dash, not sure if I need the 14-way female connector yet - connects a TD5 harness to the Defender main harness (assume I will be okay, as only want to update the connections to the warning panel).
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
Romadog2004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You basically cut off the two existing plugs that currently clip onto the existing circuit board. Using instructions with the new plugs, which look very small when you receive them, they tell you which colour wire goes where.

Best to get the proper crimping tool too for the connectors. ideal Christmas present.
In the end I got hold of a Td5 bulkhead loom and cut the plugs off leaving a good length of wire attached and then soldered and heat shrinked the correct wire to that in the existing loom.
If I remember correctly the Illumination wires for heater controls are different on Td5 one. Managed to get these off an old dash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: