www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50th Convertible in Auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAS90

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: 50th Convertible in Auction Reply with quote

I am sure the purists will cry Foul over this one, but I like it.

In my local auction next month

http://angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/classic-auctions/latest-classic-car-catalogue/saturday-13th-june-2015/1999-land-rover-defender-90-anniversary-v8/

Now how do I manage to sell the concept of having three 50ths to the Mrs?
Crocs

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chequebook out?

Robert
What puddle?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the purists will mind, as it isn't a GB50th, it isn't one of the 385 club. Shame that the restorer didn't see fit to use a genuine wing on the driver's side.
Defender-less - but big plans!
NAS90

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puddle? wrote:
I don't think the purists will mind, as it isn't a GB50th, it isn't one of the 385 club. Shame that the restorer didn't see fit to use a genuine wing on the driver's side.

You might have a point, although I don't subscribe to the GB cars or any other individual country's cars being anymore special than any other 50th, to me they are all 50ths and a special limited edition Defender; but I appreciate some do subscribe to this point of view.

However if this car really is chassis number 0001 of all the 50ths it has some historical significance

I'm with you on the TD4 fender, not hard to change though.

Still wrestling with if I can justify another one, probably not really but I do like the look of it
Crocs

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on! You know you want to.

Robert
Captainbeaky

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puddle? wrote:

Hang on - I've got GB386 - does that count me out?

2013 Honda NC700X
2005 Honda XR250R
2007 Smart ForTwo Turbo.
2010 VW Transporter camper.
Crocs

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're OK. You're the tail end. There was no GB013.

Phew!

Robert
oilit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you replace the wings and bonnet? its got the new type bonnet/hood....

good luck to the seller though.
Rich1968

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold for £16275 and up on eBay a few days later for £20k. Nice.

GB287
NAS90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to resist bidding in the auction, there was good interest in the Defender and it really did look good.

I thought it sold for about what it was worth at the auction.

If a dealer bought it and put it on eBay he must have thought it was worth more than me....and as I can't find it on eBay now i guess he found a buyer who was prepared to pay the 20k, good for him!

Seems people will pay the price for nice looking Defenders these days
Rich1968

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251998894090?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

GB287
jimblowscash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm ok, it looks pretty but..

wrong wings, & bonnet, wrong tub ( see the bulkhead ), front seats , wheels, obvious soft top etc etc etc.. where does it stop becoming a 50?

ex owner GB165
NAS90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimblowscash wrote:
erm ok, it looks pretty but..

wrong wings, & bonnet, wrong tub ( see the bulkhead ), front seats , wheels, obvious soft top etc etc etc.. where does it stop becoming a 50?

I don't think they ever stop being a 50th, they are just personalised and everyone has different tastes. One of the great things about the Defender is that you can tailor them to suit your individual tastes & needs.

If you look at the register, people have changed colours, engines, wheels, roofs, body parts, suspension, lights, etc. to suit their own needs

One of mine is completely original apart from the exhaust and used only on the road, the other is a lifted, heavily modified off road toy, they are both still 50ths, but suit different needs.

I'm afraid I don't understand the point of view that a 50th must be Atlantis blue, GB Factory spec in order to be a 'real' 50th. I like that people individualise them in different ways.
What puddle?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. In fact, purists can get on my tits. Whatever you want to do to your own car is your business. If you want to keep your 50th as it was when it came out of the factory, then great. They look great completely standard. But, Land Rover didn't get everything 'right', (as I see it) so personal touches can make it look better. I think the wheels were a big disappointment, but then Land Rover have never (and still don't) understand that nice wheels look really good on a Defender. It's odd, because Land Rover put fantastic wheels on RRs and Discos as standard, probably better than any other manufacturer. But when it comes to the Defender, they seem to lose all imagination! I still think the 60th SVX looks awful. The grille is wrong and (again) the wheels too skinny.

My 50th has black chequerplating, Apollo wheels, and is about to get a 2" lift. My choice, and everyone says it looks really good. But I don't care if they think that or not, it's about how I see it. If it knocks a few thousand off the price when I come to sell it, I don't care. I'm not going to keep it standard just because it might attract more buyers. It needs to sit in my drive looking as good as I can make it. Every day I come home from work I stare at it. I have never done that with any of my cars.

What everyone forgets is that many people transform their homes. They don't keep them as they were when built. Even listed homes get 'improved'. The only reason I expressed surprise at the driver's wing in the above post was that the air intake isn't necessary, as it isn't a diesel, so I would have gone for a genuine wing. I remain unsure about Puma bonnets for the same reason.
Defender-less - but big plans!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: