www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50th - 078 In 31st January Auction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAS90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They normally post the results the following week, but I would also be interested to know what it makes if anyone is going to be there.
TimRS4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wish I could get to this auction
TimRS4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now states that it IS a Japanese import, in the description.

Looks really scruffy in the photos... youíd think theyíd bother washing it at least, before taking the photos.

Also, looks like what could be a dent in the NS wing ?
Culminator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it doesn't look like the paint matches. Big difference between door colour and rear wing colour. Well, hopefully it's sold now, look forward to hearing the result......
TimRS4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culminator wrote:
And it doesn't look like the paint matches. Big difference between door colour and rear wing colour. Well, hopefully it's sold now, look forward to hearing the result......

They reckon itís had a ďfull body resprayĒ. Photos can be very deceptive however, especially with metallic paints.
PETER KIRKHAM GB 063

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sold for £15,000.00; with buyers commission at £750 + £150 for VAT, making a grand total of £15,900.00.

It did look in good condition though, both bulkhead & rear crossmember showing no sign of any rust; also no oxidisation of the aluminium that I could see. Interior looked nice and tidy and had the addition of electric windows.

Just a slight shame about the additional checker plate on the rear quarters.
Culminator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Peter. That's top estimate and a decent price considering it was an import. Were you there and if so did the paint look like it matched all over? Pics make it look a bit patchy.
PETER KIRKHAM GB 063

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was there, the paint looked fine to me; although it was in doors and the lighting wasn't the best...

By the by, if you ever find your way to Kings Lynn; I would unreservedly recommend the Grange Hotel.

Comfortable room; great food and very reasonable rates.

Peter
NAS90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know the result, sounds like someone bought themselves a nice 50th. It does seem that good condition cars are now consistently selling north of 15,000
TimRS4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting the results Peter.
Did you happen to get a chance to look under the bonnet?

Did it look to resprayed the original colour?

Iím amazed that these imports are fetching such high prices.

Please make it stop (or Iím never going to afford one) Shocked
NAS90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimRS4 wrote:

I sympathise with you regarding affording one, but i am afraid I don't think this one was expensive, I tend to follow the asking/ sales prices and from what I can see all 50th are going up along with just about every desirable classic made in low numbers.

I don't think you are going to find any good condition 50ths below 15,000 anymore regardless of where they were sold new. There aren't that many 50th badged cars that I've seen sold but those that have come up follow the GB badged ones pretty closely on price, particularly the blue ones. Dealers are asking the thick end of 20k even for high mileage GB badged ones and most private sales of clean examples are in the range of 15K to 20K now. Restored and significantly modified ones are going for even more than 20,000 now.

If you are looking sub 15k then I think you are going to be looking at something that requires some cosmetic or mechanical work (or possibly both). Having said that, buying one and restoring it has its rewards as when you do it you know what work has been done to the car and to what standard of work was carried out. Provided you restore one sensibly you will also see the money you put in reflected in the increased value I think.
TimRS4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAS90 wrote:
TimRS4 wrote:

I sympathise with you regarding affording one, but i am afraid I don't think this one was expensive, I tend to follow the asking/ sales prices and from what I can see all 50th are going up along with just about every desirable classic made in low numbers.

I don't think you are going to find any good condition 50ths below 15,000 anymore regardless of where they were sold new. There aren't that many 50th badged cars that I've seen sold but those that have come up follow the GB badged ones pretty closely on price, particularly the blue ones. Dealers are asking the thick end of 20k even for high mileage GB badged ones and most private sales of clean examples are in the range of 15K to 20K now. Restored and significantly modified ones are going for even more than 20,000 now.

If you are looking sub 15k then I think you are going to be looking at something that requires some cosmetic or mechanical work (or possibly both). Having said that, buying one and restoring it has its rewards as when you do it you know what work has been done to the car and to what standard of work was carried out. Provided you restore one sensibly you will also see the money you put in reflected in the increased value I think.

Guess I was surprised because this one was an import.

(which is probably what Iíll do myself, i reckon)

Also, I canít even begin to seriously look until later in the year (by which time I suppose prices will have escalated even further).
Culminator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I agree with Nas90, I also don't think this was expensive. A good price yes but not expensive. 50th Annivesary Defenders will probably never be this cheap again and will continue to rise.

Do not under estimate the power that Top Gear have on this fickle market, they are screening a tribute to the Defender in the new series and when they do, Defenders will have another boost in popularity. The 50th is already considered to be THE most desirable Defender and this can only add to their desireabilty. Porsche sold nearly all of their 918 spiders straight after Top Gear aired their road test. Before this, they were really struggling to shift any.
Culminator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article...

http://www.newspress.co.uk/public/ViewPressRelease.aspx?pr=55802&pr_ref=23085
TimRS4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find.
That was a popular day, wasnít it.

No wonder there were such strong prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: