www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do we love 50th so much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: why do we love 50th so much Reply with quote

Sorry, but had to share this with you guys.

Why do we love these 50ths so much. I've had three and regretting everyone I've sold and now looking for a fourth which I plan to never let go of, - I know they say third time lucky but hey I've learnt my lesson the hard way Crying or Very sad

but seriously - what is it that draws us to these beautiful beasts and when we let them go always regret it ?

New owner of GB108
Porsche Cayenne
old owner GB043
old owner of GB292
toylander series 2 (for the kiddies)
What puddle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large part of it is a love of the Defender itself. Years ago, cars seem to have a 'soul' (for want of a much better word). Think of the Morris Minor, the Beetle, the MGB GT, the Mini. Out of ALL the old cars, only the Defender is still going. It's 'constructed' rather than made - with a separate chassis and body, so you feel it really has been built, not just spot welded together. I seem to be alone in thinking that a separate chassis and body is still a good thing. In fact, I expect it to make a comeback one day, when car manufacturers realise that you could have a modular set-up - unbolting your saloon, and popping on a soft-top for the weekend (or something!).

The 50th has that V8 engine (which on the VAST majority of 50ths doesn't get to enjoy an exhaust befitting of it) and the auto box. As I have said countless times, it's actually not that different from a standard Defender...no Defenders are. But it remains the fact that simply because Land Rover bosses were so incredibly stupid that they couldn't see the need for a auto-boxed Defender (still can't!) that it remains the ONLY Defender with one.

If I were advising LR on the special edition that they will inevitably make next year, then an auto box would be No. 1 on the list. Just read Defender forums and realise the sheer number that have been converted. So, to answer your question, to me, it has the be the factory auto box mated to a V8.
Defender-less - but big plans!
stevo67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make complete sense - it's always going to be the V8 and auto box, it puts all the others to shame.

I wonder what (if they do) their last limited edition will be - I'm sure they'll sell out before the ink is dry on the brochure and for a crazy price in the 40k+ region - You only have to look at how much a pimped up defender now goes for - but don't get me started on that one.

New owner of GB108
Porsche Cayenne
old owner GB043
old owner of GB292
101FC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo67 wrote:
make complete sense - it's always going to be the V8 and auto box, it puts all the others to shame.

I wonder what (if they do) their last limited edition will be - I'm sure they'll sell out before the ink is dry on the brochure and for a crazy price in the 40k+ region - You only have to look at how much a pimped up defender now goes for - but don't get me started on that one.

You can bet it won't have an auto or a V8 as that would cost to much for a team of engineers to sort Evil or Very Mad It may have a different color paint, possibly include the top of the range leather trim but nothing new and have a few bolt on shiny bits... It will have a huge price tag Idea
50th Anniversary #264
WAS 483 (SUMB)
HomersSpiceRack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that LR are doing a run of 50 Defenders with 5.0 supercharged engines.

Don't know if I dreamt that Very Happy but you can be sure they will be very expensive and probably sold already by invite!
What puddle?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumours were along those lines, but I can't remember anyone saying 50 of them. LR would surely want to get their investment, and I would expect hundreds, if not into four figures. However, these rumours have been shot down on the Defender2 website, with contributors saying that it's actually not possible, as LR would have to homolgate them. They say putting a 5 litre engine in would mean beefing up the suspension and brakes, and that such a move on a vehicle not made for that would be seen as unsafe practice, so LR wouldn't go anywhere near it. Imagine the terrible PR if some posh boy bought one and rolled it, a month into ownership! Defenders are not for rolling. So unless anyone can say otherwise (with direct word from someone in the know) then I think we can expect a nice Defender, blinged up from standard, and for a completely ridiculous price. The last bit is the only bit that is certain.

I don't know if any of you are aware, but the word in the past week on the new Defender is that the concept DC100 is out of the reckoning. The basic shape and purpose is apparently now been set in concrete. It's just tweaking now. LR are unsure whether to let pics out, or keep it totally secret. Given that the Chinese will build a look-a-like knock-off, then maybe we won't see it until it's almost due. I think the chances of a sub-£20,000 Land Rover (which LR should have done years ago!) are remote, though they have registered the word 'Landy'.
Devon-rover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking as one of those who doesn't own one (I doubt i'll ever have the funds) The whole 50th attraction to me is the idea of the comfy cruiser and it does have a large part in the V8 auto combo.

LR missed a very big trick in having the 50th or NAS set up in main production. Ok there is a few special bit but it is possible to build a reasonable and sell able model.

My ninety will always be a copy but i can imagine what pride you proper 50th owners get, as my own V8 auto conversion is always getting positive remarks and lots of comments to the lines of why didn't land rover make this all the time in the UK.

I can share in the smiles as i waft along with the V8 up front the box in the middle doing the easy work and the wind in my hair.
jimblowscash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go to the London to Brighton or any other large landrover meet you will see hundreds of blinged 90's and lots of G4's and tomb raiders BUT you'll only see a handful of 50's .... There rare, they stand out like the nuts on a bulldog and although there's quicker, smoother driving, better off road it will remain the only factory V8 auto Defender ever built!

I can park up at my local landrover dealer ( to collect parts ) and guarantee there will be at least three people inspecting it, including a technician by the time I get back, I've seen guys walk out the showroom whilst talking to sales people to go and have a look.

There is no other vehicle I've owned that turns heads quite like it and the feeling you get when people genuinely have ENVY written across there faces is worth every penny of the atrocious fuel consumption or large repair bils I get with it.. That's why owning a 50th is infectious ( and there's something about a V8 rumble in a defender )

ex owner GB165
stevo67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree - that's why so many of us regret selling them and end up buying another - I know I will Laughing
The only other defender I would consider is a JE liberator - there was one on ebay last october, spoke to the chap, but he wisely decided to hold onto it.
meanwhile I slum it with the disco 4 and RR

New owner of GB108
Porsche Cayenne
old owner GB043
old owner of GB292
What puddle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, the Liberator is CRAZY money! Nene also do something similar. It would be much cheaper to have it done for you by the very many Defender conversion garages dotted about. I know, I looked into it. Bespoke are another silly-money company, and they don't even pop in a V8. I could be tempted to sell my 50th and do my own conversion, but I haven't the funds. Nene do a Ford Mustang engine conversion. Ohhhh!
TonyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar experience to Jimblowscash's but one step further. I was in ordering a new 90 - they're going to get as near to the last one as they can for me - and the Dealer Principal came out and said that when the time came they'd buy my 50th (not for sale!) for more than whatever the highest bid was from elsewhere. I said "that might be £30k by next autumn" to which he said "whatever it takes". He added that he just wanted it to sit in the showroom as a 'draw' or talking point.
TonyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. They also took an order for whatever the replacement Defender is. It'll be their first one. IF I like it................
stevo67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what you call silly money - looking at what 50ths are now going for the one I saw was very reasonable, having had in excess of 60k plus spent on it. I've asked if I can have first dibs when/if he ever decides to sell Laughing I just don't fancy doing it myself as I know by the time I've bought the base vehicle added the V8 and uprated the suspension/brakes then tweeked the interior/exterior it'll still cost a very small fortune. The newer one does appeal as I can fit the family in safely with forward facing seats etc, but I know I'll end up in a 50th soon and can always modify with the exmoors.

New owner of GB108
Porsche Cayenne
old owner GB043
old owner of GB292
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: