www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number 300 for sale ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spooner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Number 300 for sale ... Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90SW-4-0-V8-50TH-ANNIVERSARY-AUTOMATIC-/161381613302?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1120

GB168 - electric, yes, electric sunroof Smile
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously they fail to mention this is a Japanese re-import.....
Dakarbug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with Jap imports? Twisted Evil
John Deere 6330
RH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In seriousness, what please IS wrong with the Japanese versions ?

As a newcomer, I get the impression that these imports (despite having lived in a better climate) are considerably "less desirable" than the UK vehicles, is this correct please ?

Although I have looked on the forum, I may well have missed it; what please are the differences between the UK & overseas versions ?

Many thanks & sorry if these are silly questions.
Richard
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service record
Insurance (potentially)
Speedo needs changing etc

It's the same as any other imported/ re-imported vehicle sold in another market.

Also about the seller being honest about its history. It would appear traders are reluctant to say they are Japanese re-imports.
Crocs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Japanese imports. However, like any other re-import, the value is affected so it is important to know its status when buying.

If you know it's status, you won't offer too much and you'll receive value for money on purchase and not make a loss on resale. Otherwise you could pay the same money as a similar condition UK car and then find that it is worth less.

Robert
Dakarbug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get one thing straight,very little or no corrosion at all,not like some uk cars that now need chassis,some minor differences in spec and colour.They did all leave the same production line the same time so they are hardly less desirable and can come for a lot less money! Hence good value for money . Laughing
John Deere 6330
NAS90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RH wrote:
In seriousness, what please IS wrong with the Japanese versions ?

As a newcomer, I get the impression that these imports (despite having lived in a better climate) are considerably "less desirable" than the UK vehicles, is this correct please ?

Although I have looked on the forum, I may well have missed it; what please are the differences between the UK & overseas versions ?

Many thanks & sorry if these are silly questions.
Richard

They are fundamentally the same car having come off the very same production line, more colour options available with rest of world cars (although personally i think the Atlantis Blue is the best anyway), some minor trim variations, but nothing significant. They cost no more to insure than a GB version. Japan cars are often main dealer only serviced and in far better condition than a car that spent its life in the UK. I think it's got more to do with owners of UK sold ones protecting the value of their cars, and buyers trying to pick up a bargain by talking down rest of world sold cars(neither group can really be faulted for their efforts).

For me the 50th is a great car and i would buy on condition, mileage, history, etc. regardless of which market the 50th was sold in whilst brand new.
What puddle?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have pointed out (to the annoyance of some), underneath, it's just a Defender. Defender's weren't/aren't made well, with lots of design flaws and problems that still persist even today! And the 50th isn't even that special - just about, what, four principle differences, and some trim changes? And I have also said on here before how the 50th came about.

However, having said all that, the FACT is that LR made only 385 ones for the British market, and that's why having 'GB' in front of the number makes it more valuable. This isn't something that is being fixed by all us lot. It's simply that the GB ones have got less in numbers and their value is based on their rarity. I've no idea how many Japanese ones were built, but evidently it was far more. Plus, of course, there is an 'unknown' about a car that has come from abroad. Many GB 50ths have been tracked their whole life. As Dakarbug says, Japanese ones come for a lot less money. But the very reason for that is because they are seen by buyers as less desirable than a GB one.

RH, keep reading the Register section, where I list all those currently for sale, and keep looking on AutoTrader and ebay. Also, put an ad in the 'Wanted' section here.
Defender-less - but big plans!
Crocs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also no different to other makes of car.

I am also a Jaguar Mk 2 enthusiast and it's quite common to see cars that have been, for example, re-imported from Australia where they've spent an easier life than here in the UK. However, they are always worth less than a home car in similar condition. Despite being exactly the same and having rolled off the same production line at the same time.

Illogical it may be, but it's just a fact of life.

Robert
jeremy horton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Dakarbug will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure he bought from this seller. Judging by his ebay user name it would seem he imports anything from Japan. He will certainly be making good profit selling at the advertised price if he paid similar to what I paid - good luck to him for cashing in on the demand for Defenders.
As Dakarbug has said please don't dismiss imports as an alternative to the GB cars and as for prices - look at the prices of imported Disco 1's compared to UK cars, they fetch a premium. Nobody can predict how imported 50th prices will go once they become common knowledge.
We are all Defender enthusiasts and have something special so let's enjoy no matter where their initial destination was.
RH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin,
& all forum members,
I feel I should apologise as I think my (slightly off topic) question has rather hijacked this thread!
Sorry, I am finding the comments very interesting, but not good form from a brand new forum never!
Hope you don't mind.
Richard
What puddle?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, don't sweat it. Gavin won't mind (him and his bloody electric sunroof). You'll find this forum laid back.
Defender-less - but big plans!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> Vehicles For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: