www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wet and muddy pics...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widget

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Wet and muddy pics... Reply with quote

...from this weekend in Wales. I nearly drowned it (see the water in the driving lamps), but it's surprisingly waterproof. All the mud came off (eventually), I lost a mudflap in the river and had an excellent time Laughing

Looking forward to the end of July Very Happy

Building NAS style V8
SteveT

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absoulutly brilliant Jonathan!
I'm with you in spirit if not covered in mud.
Looks like an excellent time was had by all
Very Happy
Widget

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Steve. The 50th is awesome off-road, if lacking a little engine braking and axle articulation. The river drive was spectacular, albeit in fading light. The front carpets are in the garage drying out!

The Lakes will be much tamer in July!
Building NAS style V8
Allan

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures...

Well not to be outdone I was away in the Lake District doing the same...

James, look away now...

Widget

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics. Parkamoor?
Building NAS style V8
Allan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Parkamoor, well all but the penultimate one which was at Lythe valley.

There are some good lanes in the Lakes. Parkamoor is a definite as is the Fox across Grizedale. The Old Coach Road is great for a relaxing cross country trundle.

We didnt get any hassle either, although most of the walkers looked thoroughly miserable..! One mountain biker didnt know how we had got up Parkamoor without winches..! A good look on foot first, a steady right foot, and some deft vehicle control was Barry's answer...!
Matt

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all hello, I've been lurking around on this forum for a while.
Have recently bought a 50th, GB009, delivery is not for another couple of weeks, which is getting fustrating! Live in Scotland, but bought the vehicle from Nene Overland who will transport her up here for me.

Anyway, some great photo's, inspiring stuff, and the plan is to get GB009 muddy as soon as possible!
Couple of questions, what tyres are you using? Is it necessary to change from the BFG A/T's currently fitted to go offroad?
Also, Allan, see you have a Raingler type net, possible to post a picture of it? have tried mudstuff.co.uk, but pictures not coming up.

Cheers,
Matt
Widget

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt - and welcome!

I have a set of BFG MT's on the silver alloys, plus the AT's on the original alloys. AT's are fantastic all round tyres, much quieter on the road with less vibration than MT's. The MT's have a lot less grip in the wet too.

I do about 50% of my mileage off road though, where they really come into their own in everything apart from sand (when AT's are better). On mud and rocks they are brilliant, but if I did any more on-road mileage I'd use AT's all the time.

AT's last ages too. I've heard of sets lasting 50k. 20k is closer to the mark for MT's.

I've got the Raingler net too (disco type). Nice bit of kit.
Building NAS style V8
Allan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Congratulations and welcome...

GB009 - one off the line before my GB010.

I agree with JB on tyres.

Mine are BFG AT KO's.

IMO they are the best all round tyre; good on rock, gravel, although they do clog up a bit on deep dales mud. The proof is in the pictures Wink I think they look fairly dramatic but Katy performed faultlessly and didn't miss a step. MT's are better on the more extreme stuff but you do compromise on road ability. If you are a weekend off roader then I would suggest sticking with the AT's. If you venture off road more often then consider MT's.

Post some pics when you get her...

Oh and this is the best pic I have of the Raingler net. They are quite useful for hanging things off (like my Leica) and stop any debris from coming forward in those unexpected off road manoevres..! They also keep the girlfriend's kids at bay too..! This is the half net which allows you to get underneath it to get into the back whilst still offering good protection.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tyre advice guys, AT's should do me just fine.
Nice seats aswell Allan.
Can see my new toy getting expensive, there is too much stuff available!
Will post some pictures as soon as possible. There is a sad looking one of her on the registar, must be a couple of years old.
Cheers,
Matt
Allan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment regarding the seats.

As I'm sure you know they are Trakkers from Exmoor trim.

They were a one off special done for a guy in Leeds, who incidentally has also owned a 50th and is now regretting buying a Range Rover sport as it is not terribly reliable. These were produced before they starting doing the full leather versions that they currently sell. The only difference is mine do not have the white stitching on them.

I got the deal of the century on them. I think I paid around £300 for the pair. Exmoor are currently selling them for about £800 a pair. They do look nice though and have a bit more lateral support than the original seats.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics guys Very Happy

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: