www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting & Flooding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Starting & Flooding Reply with quote

Hi

Last Sunday am I moved my 50th from outside the house to down the drive - about 50m. In the afternoon I went to move her back - got in and turned the key - turned over tried to start/fire but no joy - just like a sick old bird. Got out and left her a while and tried again - no joy. Tried again next am - no joy (battery now low). Crying or Very sad Called the RAC.

45mins later man and van turned up - connected jump leads and tried again - still no joy. He said it was flooded - he asked how far I'd moved told him 50m - "Ah yes" he said "sometimes the ECU gets confused and dumps a load a fuel when only mving short distances - quite common with Rover V8 & Jags." Anyway he applied a liberal coating of WD40 over the electrics - removed a bank of plugs and heated thenm up with a blow torch - replaced them and bingo she started up - he then said take her for a run to clear the dumped fuel - she's now fine. Very Happy

Anyone else had this problem - is it true that the ECU can get confused and dump fuel ?

Cheers

Simon
Scruffy-Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon

My wife and I had a very similar problem with her Toyota Rav 4 a few weeks ago.

The car was turning over but not firing up, battery all ok, so we took out the spark plugs (which were soaked with fuel), burnt off the surplus fuel with a blow torch and reinstalled the plugs.

Car fired up straight away.

I think the problem occurs when fuel injection pumps too much fuel into the system and it floods itself.

Richard Smile
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have that problem all the time with my first car - a Cortina!!
(And other Fords at the time with early automatic chokes) - if you stalled it before the engine had warmed up properly you were stuffed...
Similar thing - the auto choke would get confused and it would take several hours to reset!
romadog2004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem with my 3.9 CSK once. I had just blipped the throttle before turning her off and she wouldnt restart as she was flooded. Also if the battery is loww the ECU doesnt get its full amps/volts and therefore these gremlins appear.She'll have enough to crank..just but not enough to work solenoids and injectors properly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: