www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shock Absorbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Shock Absorbers Reply with quote

I am going to have to renew the dampers soon - anyone have any suggestions for a type that may improve the road-holding and general ride quality?
Seems there are a few makes to choose from - Monroe, Bilstein, De-Carbon, Old Man Emu etc...
Is it worth replacing the shock bushes with polybushes at the same time?
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Adam.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

I think Koni are a very good damper. More expensive but they perform well for handeling. that what i will put on mine when i want to upgrade.

Polybushes are ok, easy to fit, but i think the origonal land rover bushes are better, just harder to fit.

Best regards

James
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Allan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

I asked the same question this week as I have just had the rear bushes renewed at Simmonite's in Bradford as they were shot. Simmonites are very good and have been messing about with Land Rovers for over 40 years and it is run by real enthusiasts.

The advice I got from them was to stick with the original Land Rover items for the shockers as there is some give designed into them. They [the rears] are easy to fit as the top is a two piece bush that just pushes out and the bottom is a simple thread on affair. They felt that the polybushes are good for all the other arms but not for the shockers.

James... In answer to the debate over the standard fittment shockers on the 50th's - you win... I had a look while they were off and they are standard Land Rover Monroe items not the DeCarbon ones as I thought.

Again the wisdom from Simmonite's is if you want the best then go for Bilstein shock absorbers. Expensive but very good apparently.
brookes47

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Old Man Emu in the past and they were excellent, especially for the steering damper, removed all traces of shimmy at the steering wheel.
Cyscrofer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use and rate Decarbons.
not bad prices and seem to be a more comfortable ride compaired with some of the others if seen and been in.
koni and spax i have also used before both adjustables and non adjustable types...for the extra money i wouldn't bother.
the gimmick of adjustablilty is a con...
i've found that once you set them you never touch em again!
there good to the point of tuning them to exactly what you want but depending on your driving if you set them for fast road then you have no teeth left if you go off roading if you know what i mean.
i can suggest it's worth matching your springs at the same time if you can afford make sure the springs are made by the same firm you use for the shockers....it makes a big difference to the ride compared wirth just put anything on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: