www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcrobin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: New Owner Reply with quote

Hi All

I have just had a lightning introduction to the defender 50th over the past 24 hours or so and have just become the proud owner of GB160 to add to my collection of classic cars.

I had no intention of buying one, and literally fell over it and am well chuffed, she is a 1998R with 17000 miles and one owner - only mods are a a chrome A bar with Hella Spots and a CD Tuner.

Any advice info gratefully received - I would love to get it sounding like my SD1 Vitesse, any recommendations as to which system sounds the best - not too loud but louder than standard - and can I take the CAT off ?

Thanks Guys

dmcrobin
GB160
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on buying one of the best defenders Cool

There are a few systems out there or you can have one custom made in stainless to your spec (PD Gough are close to you, www.pdgough.co.uk). Scorpion racing now do a jansppeed one now with free flow cats, dont know how good it is though.

I think you can only remove the cats if you have LPG and run it on LPG for the MOT.

Best regards

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dmcrobin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

Spoke to Scorpion today, they want £1,250 + Fitting for the Janspeed system with Manifolds and CATS - I think they are mad.

Will get one made in stainless to my spec for half that money !

R
Allan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...

Scorpion are a bit, shall we say, 'imaginative' when it comes to pricing...

Good luck with the custom build. I think James is collecting parts for a twin system all the way through from manifold to exhaust at the moment so he may be a good person to speak to.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have planned mine out but not done it yet.

I have brought a pair of ceramic free flow cats ready for when i do it. I got them from the US. They are stainless and very free flowing, cost about £250 for the pair with shipping and duties.

One tip i got from scorpion when i phoned to see about there manifolds is that they change the knock sensors for P38 range rover ones. I have looked into it and the 50th plug on the sensor is on the top and the range rover one is on the side, will give a little more clearance.
It is tight to fit tubular manifolds in so if you do then protect the starter motor and things from all the extra heat in the engine bay. Maybe wrap the manifolds too.

I'm not sure what manifolds scorpion use, if they are range rover or disco ones. I think disco ones as the standard manifolds are disco ones. If so you can get stainless tubulars from rimmer bros, about £400 a pair.

Hope this helps

James
GB 002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: